Rope problem?

max

Here's the situation:

Five newish ropes at a local gym, all the same brand and all have small strands of white, tough, plastic materials sticking out of/through the mantle of the rope. The strands can be pulled out of the mantle, are 2-10 mm in length, 1 mm wide, flat or tape-like, wrinkly, and tough. They are spread out along the rope w/o noticable pattern with an average density of 2-3 per meter. Otherwise, the ropes seem fine.

Personally, I'm still climbing on them. I've owned ropes, seen ropes at gyms, and worked with rigging ropes that look way more sketchy, but for other reasons. My guess is that these are filaments of the core sticking through, but that the bulk of the core is intact and functional.

My question is if there are any reps/professionals out there who can speak to this. Obviously, I'd like to here from the armchair crowd too!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Mammut rope that has a similar thing. At one end, it has one piece sticking out the middle of the rope. It reminds me of a skinny piece of floss, like that Glide type. It sticks out about 1/2" or so. Not sure when it showed up, but wasn't there for the first year or two.

I never worried about it, and usually try to pull it out when ever I notice it.

I'm trying to grasp the concept of what you're describing but i think others are spot on. some ropes have a plastic id filament that runs the entire length of the rope. it may have a batch number printed on it at regular intervals. i am under the impression from other forum threads that this can be used as a serial number for ropes in the event of failure/research.

do these 'strands' stick out the ends? or random spots in the sheath?

do these 'strands' stick out the ends? or random spots in the sheath?

Good clarification. They just barely stick out of the sheath all along the length of the rope, not just the ends. It seems like this id filament is in the center of the rope and wouldn't come out between the threads of the sheath.

Why don't you just ask the gym?

In all honesty, I'm not that sure people who work at a gym necessarily know much about ropes. Obviously, some gym staff are top notch, but not always. I've watched the staff at this gym. Lets just say I always make a trip up the easy routes to check out the setup first.

Oh, and I did point it out to them. They had no idea, and said they'd pass it along. Seems pretty reasonable.

AND, my second edit: I totally respect the guy I talked to at the gym, and he's a good guy. But not a rope expert.

Now you many ask, "If you don't trust a gym person, why would you trust a internet dude?" Reasonable question, but my original idea was that someone with true professional/expert knowledge would pipe up and explain.

I tend to agree with you regarding making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm still climbing there. But I'd like to know.

Edited by max

Have to say it's much ado about nothing, gym ropes are a different breed from what we know as climbing ropes, they have to be bomber and some are not even dynamic in the sense of a true lead rope, as far as their traits.

This a good answer - you can email Petzl or PMI, they do sell a different rope on a spool for gyms.