Winter Climbing Spots?!

AOK

I recently went out to Rocky Butte during a string of nice days and was able to climb the bouldering area and a few decent top-roping routes as well. I was curious to know some other areas that might be dry and climbable during the remainder of this winter.

I've heard rumors The Gorge has some awesome winter destinations still climbable this time of year but any additional information would be rad!

Thanks in advance. Please list detailed directions to crags in your response or PM as I would really love getting an early start on this season!

Peace.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about sport, but these two for single-pitch trad in the Gorge:

45 min. to PDX: The Far Side is drier (and quieter!) than Rocky Butte. Has bolted anchors or convenient trees for TR.

2 hrs. from PDX: Horsethief Butte is often in the sun when PDX is wet. Can be windy though. Good TR area, but you will need trad gear to build anchors - no bolts allowed.

Thanks for the response. Stoked for some freakin' sunshine I tell ya! Getting cabin fever climbing at the gym right now and my friends can be pussies when I urge them to start climbing outside. pfffft!

I think Smith is a bit too far unless someone is willing to carpool. I do not drive but have money to throw down and plenty of gear to camp comfortably and climb for days. Let me know eh?!

As for the local spots in and around the Portland Metro area-thank you! I have climbed all of them besides Ozone and Beacon (No trad yet for me), but have heard wonderful things and have appreciated climbing at all of them. I'll try making it out soon! *crosses fingers for decent weather...

Thank again climbers! Stay safe!

Peace.

*message edited after viewing plaidmans PM. Thanks man! Looking forward to this little secret for sure! ;^)

Edited by AOK