Ice Screw(s) for Glacier Climb?

SeanO

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if people bring an ice screw on standard glacier climbs. For example, a trip up a snow route such as the DC on Rainier, Hogsback on Hood, etc. If so, what size do you bring, and what is your justification and intended use?

I've heard from a few experienced climbers who bring a screw or two just to be safe, even in summer. I've also heard anecdotes about using a screw when inside a crevasse to aid climb out... an extreme example perhaps, but applicable.

What do you guys bring?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Screws don't really have any additional holding power by just being longer. Ultimately it is their threads that decide holding power, and anything over a 13cm screw has the same amount of threads (if we are talking BD express here). Glacial ice is generally pretty consistent so I bring a 16cm and figure it will be just as strong as anything else. It will also make any v-thread plenty strong that I will need for an unintended rappel. If I was planning to top-rope something, I would bring the 22cm.

Screws don't really have any additional holding power by just being longer. Ultimately it is their threads that decide holding power, and anything over a 13cm screw has the same amount of threads (if we are talking BD express here). Glacial ice is generally pretty consistent so I bring a 16cm and figure it will be just as strong as anything else. It will also make any v-thread plenty strong that I will need for an unintended rappel. If I was planning to top-rope something, I would bring the 22cm.

Why bring a 22cm for top-roping if anything over 13cm is just as good? And if there IS a difference, why reserve your strongest screw (22cm) for top-rope duties, where the actual strength requirements are minimal, and use smaller screws for leading, where the strength requirements are much higher? Is that to prevent melt-out?

It is not about the screw being stronger it is about getting it into decent ice. One can not always count on decent glacier ice. As such, having more length allows one to get the screw down into deeper and hopefully better ice without having to dig a pit for it. Similarly when building a V-thread.

one or two depends. If it is late season, I would say two and mainly because of the need to possibly put directionals in tough crevasse crossing situations. but for everything else, one or none. I know of one situation where a ice screw came in handy for a crevasse rescue and that was a very strange situation.