Perfect alpine bag (40L)

AndreasDK

Hello Cascade Climbers.

I am new to this forum but hope that I have chosen the right category for this discussion point.

At the moment I am designing an alpine bag, that later on will be produced.

The design is in its early stage, which can be seen on this PDF:

http://andreaslaursen.dk/bag_project.pdf

To ensure that the bag is perfect for alpinist, I would like to have your inputs, both positive and negative, and comments about the perfect alpinist bag for your need.

Hope that you will help me, all comments are welcome.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get rid of the sternum strap - you don't use a hip belt when you have a harness on.

Don't get rid of the side compression straps - make the buckles reverse so they can be used on opposite sides.

Make the ice tool attachments secure and not flimsy. You don't want them swinging around. I like Osprey's and BD's way of clipping the pick.

All this is already in existence. What will be new about your bag? Colors? - like pink, or lime green, or turqoise.

How are you patterning it so that it hugs the body yet is still easy to find something in? Thats REALLY important. Its how the pack fits and compresses so that it climbs with you and the weight is close to your back -- rather then bells and whistles.

(BTW I like backs w/ a bright inner color)

How can you make it haulable, yet easy to dump everything out at the Craig? Also few/no parts to break (zippers, clips, ect)

Your tool loops, if I'm chimnying with a pack on -- I'm going to tear those off in 2 seconds.

What about just using the side straps to carry tools/pons Euro style?

Bivys? I'd have a silinylon color that went at least up to my waist.

Lastly what about diagonal ski carry for ski mountaineering?

Weight is KEY -- you are building a pack to have the %@#& beat out of it, yet it should weigh no more then 2lb for 40L

Edited by robpatterson5

Hello Cascade Climbers.

I am new to this forum but hope that I have chosen the right category for this discussion point.

At the moment I am designing an alpine bag, that later on will be produced.

The design is in its early stage, which can be seen on this PDF:

http://andreaslaursen.dk/bag_project.pdf

To ensure that the bag is perfect for alpinist, I would like to have your inputs, both positive and negative, and comments about the perfect alpinist bag for your need.

Hope that you will help me, all comments are welcome.

The perfect Alpine bag has been done and folks on this board already buy them and regularly use them. Save yourself the trouble and just buy one of these.

http://www.cilogear.com/

You did say "all comments are welcome". You're welcome. :wave:

Don't listen to the naysayers, looks like a nice project

my criteria when I buy a pack

bombproof

lightweight (1.5 to 2 lbs for 40L)

no bells and whistles

just 1 compartment in the hood

necessary features,

2 ice tool loops, the bottom loop should not be removable, but the top tool attachment could be a removable strap/buckle that attaches to the pack through a sewn on strap.

adjustable elastic cord in back center for crampons

things I would like but have never seen

1" removable waist strap, (most packs are 1.5" and non-removable)

3/4" or 1/2" sternum strap

all straps colored with a contrasting color to the main pack color. A black pack with black straps and the straps disappear, especially at night.

Same with draw cords, make them a bright color that stands out. I have black packs with black draw cords with black cords locks and I've added colored string to the ends so I can find them quickly.

I like the idea of a removable hood, make it where the removable waist strap will attach to the hood and turn it into a small waist pack.

the attach for the removable waist strap should just be a fabric slot, no velcro or buckles.

the pouch for the removable back padding should be the same urethane coated fabric as the main pack or thinner, point being it should be urethane coated like the main pack material. This is a high wear area and your sweat wears out the urethane quickly and then sweat gets everything wet. So a double layer of urethane coated material is good here.

I like little tabs on the tops and sides so that straps can be added or left off, this would be 4 tabs per side, so 2 straps can be added per side. These would just be little fabric or strap slots, no buckles or velcro. I even have packs where I added these tabs on the bottom. I had a day pack that I would carry 50 lbs with.

Get weights of competing packs and try to beat the weight.

I have a 1st gen Go-lite Breeze and it has 3 outer mesh pockets (sides and back) that are really handy but the tops of the pockets have no positive closure. Maybe just one large mesh pocket on the back where the top opening was under the back edge of the hood. (this is an optional idea)

If the pack is ever hauled on technical pitches it needs to either not have a hanging strap (the little strap between the top of the shoulder straps) or that strap needs to be absolutely bombproof. Like extra strong. I tend to not trust these straps and end up clipping the shoulder straps when hauling. So the shoulder straps need to also be the most bomber part of the pack.

the critical dimensions of any pack are the depth and width. (front to rear, side to side) A wider pack is easier to load but a narrower pack is easier to climb with. Finding the best compromise dimension is key.

I'm just curious, what routes are you guys doing that you find hauling features so neccessary? I've found that between the advent of mixed climbing becoming a 'thing' and the ubiquituousness of 'light is right gear' very few objectives need to be hauled other than the odd tight chimney.

I like the bright, contrasting straps idea, now that I think of it, they are always black regardless of the main sac color. I have a pack that you can pass the strap through the top pocket making an effective lumbar pack, but I've only used it that way once in many years.

Edited by DPS

I rope soloed Davis-Holland-Lovin-Arms last summer and did a carry over with my Golite. I hauled the pack on most pitches with rain gear, emer bivy, walk off shoes and water/food.

The pack was old and I assumed it would get shredded but it didn't.

also tagged the E face of Lexington, 2 chimneys, didn't really haul just hung our packs beneath us off the harness.

Ok, so like biq wall, alpine rock climb kind of stuff. I have a Metolius Hall Pack (Sheild) that is the perfect crag and wall in a day pack. And its 80s Euo trash neon yellow.

Edited by DPS

Seems like a tough market to break into, as there have been alot of good offerings in the past, and its a tough price point....

My two favs:

My old Trango 45L (it was size L) pack, yellow and black one. It was perfect. It lasted alot of hard-wearing years.

My current Cold Cold World Chernobyl, which I like alot except the tool tubes are too old school. Everytime I think I about to cut them off the pack I stop, but I'm getting closer.

My current Cold Cold World Chernobyl, which I like alot except the tool tubes are too old school. Everytime I think I about to cut them off the pack I stop, but I'm getting closer.

Alex, If you contact Randy Rackliff at Cold Cold World

phone: 603 383 9021

e-mail: coldcold@ncia.net

He will likely be able to modify your tool tubes for minimal cost. I had it done several years ago and I think it cost me around $35

Edited by ADKMan