A Different Kind of Truth - Review

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never a VanHalen fan back in the early days, so for me this is a little like declaring Duran Duran's comeback album as good as their early work, but I'm happy for all you old fans, a return to form by a group gone astray is a good thing.

High-energy music, theatrics, virtuoso-playing, entertaining. Good stuff.

It's like the fried burritos sold at the gas station in Darrington. By the time you reach the treeline, you know the recipe came from the devil, but was never given out again because he couldn't take the competition.

:tup:

Ya know if you stop at the store by Niedeprum road the "meat" in those burritos is emu grown right behind the store in the metal yurts.

mmmmmm yummay!

I was a big VH fan in middle school. Bought a Kramer guitar with money saved from my first job. Tried to learn finger-tapping technique to the detriment of all other musical skills. Had the posters, went to concerts, bought the T-shirts. Basically, I was the target market and I bought in big time.

I still listen to "Fair Warning" and "VH II" while cleaning the house sometimes. But this new album is no "Fair Warning". Not even close. Old and in the way. Time to let the trend die. The target market grew up and started listening to the Beatles.

I was a big VH fan in middle school. Bought a Kramer guitar with money saved from my first job. Tried to learn finger-tapping technique to the detriment of all other musical skills. Had the posters, went to concerts, bought the T-shirts. Basically, I was the target market and I bought in big time.

I still listen to "Fair Warning" and "VH II" while cleaning the house sometimes. But this new album is no "Fair Warning". Not even close. Old and in the way. Time to let the trend die. The target market grew up and started listening to the Beatles.

I've got every Beatles record on CD. Honestly, I listen to VH more than them, not to say VH gets in the iPod queue as often as other bands.

Just trying to justify my distaste. It's funny that they made me so happy as a kid, when i think about it rationally, but then I hear "Unchained" and I'm playing air guitar all over again. The new stuff doesn't do it for me like that. Glad you've been able to hang onto the magic.

Just trying to justify my distaste. It's funny that they made me so happy as a kid, when i think about it rationally, but then I hear "Unchained" and I'm playing air guitar all over again. The new stuff doesn't do it for me like that. Glad you've been able to hang onto the magic.

Well, I like a lot of music, so I tend to cast my net wide. Some older bands put out lackluster stuff or just shit, and some stuff sounds great. This CD falls in the latter category(for me).

The new VH will be great tunes for yard work, power hikes up Mailbox, and pumping iron at the gym at least. :-)

I think it is there best album. I know that is a big statement but Eddie's playing on the album is what we want him to play. Heavy, bold and super fast. Wolfgang (I have to admit) is an amazing bass player. He weaves in and out of the songs.....Daves lyrics and antics are unmatched. Alex....what can i say about his drumming? Amazing as usual. This album is so far from what I expected. I cant get enough of it.

I think it is there best album. I know that is a big statement but Eddie's playing on the album is what we want him to play. Heavy, bold and super fast. Wolfgang (I have to admit) is an amazing bass player. He weaves in and out of the songs.....Daves lyrics and antics are unmatched. Alex....what can i say about his drumming? Amazing as usual. This album is so far from what I expected. I cant get enough of it.

Their best album is VH1, but I find this album fits between vh1 and vh2 better than anywhere else chronologically/stylistically. I may rank it at #2 given some time.