Ring Training?

pu

although even the simplest ring moves can be extremely challenging for even a relatively strong newbie, I've had decent results reducing the intensity (load) by supporting my body weight in hanging loops of heavy-duty (half-inch diameter) bungee cord. Coastal Farm & Ranch carries it on reels - buy it by the foot. my ring apparatus is one-inch tubular nylon webbing threaded through four-inch lengths of half-inch pvc pipe for grips, adjustable via cam buckle. total investment less than $10 - hangs from the rafters of my workshop. with the bungee assist, I also work many of the classic ring moves on rock-rings to build up fingers. at my age, I'm not sure it improves my climbing performance, but I'm convinced it protects me from hurting myself when I try to climb "hard".

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I'm new to the board, so I'm just going through posts now. I absolutely love ring work and gymnastics work in general, and while I'm very new to technical climbing, I can't help but feel my ring work has helped me advance as quickly as I have. A good book and video series detailing ring work is "Building the Gymnastic Body" by Coach Sommer, who has coached many National Level gymnasts. It lays out progressions and how to progress safely and systematically on various gymnastic exercises including ring exercises and ring series.

Check it out: http://gymnasticbodies.com/