Which is it?

allthumbs

Some suggest that most of us in America value political liberty above all other considerations, but the media suggest that at least half of world citizenry prefers security to liberty - if it comes to a choice. Of course it does not come to that. As Mr. Franklin put it so well, those who value security over liberty wind up with neither.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people are willing to give up other people's liberty for their own security.

Repub's willing to give up right of dissent and right to fair trial (a la Ashcroft's anti-terror campaign).

Liberals willing to give up rich people's money and rights to develop their land any way they damn please, and gun nuts' rights to own guns.

People too weinerish to drive Middle Fork Sno road willing to give up rights of others to drive that road.

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

As Mr. Franklin put it so well, those who value security over liberty wind up with neither.

Actually, I believe that Old Ben said that those who desire security over liberty DESERVE neither. Either way, well said. It is a fine line, but we lose the essence of American Freedom if we get so scared that we lock down our society. Be personally aware and address security on a personal level - don't depend on the government (i.e., police, sheriff, etc.) for your personal security because that is not entirely their job. Just as the Col. and TLG.

Many of you decry us "gun nuts", but we are people who have decided to be responsible for our own safety/security and that of our families.

Greg W

You're not the "gun nut" we're worried about. (Although there do seem to be quite a few "regrettable accidents" where someone didn't know the gun was loaded, etc. etc.)

And as far as the MidFork road goes.... one of the best reasons for closing it is the activities of "gun nuts" who like to celebrate their time in the great outdoors by squeezing off multiple rounds.

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

(snip)

People too weinerish to drive Middle Fork Sno road willing to give up rights of others to drive that road.

When they closed the Taylor River Road, I wondered how long it would be before they got around to the Middle Fork Snoqualmie...longer than I expected actually.