Crack Climbing Technique

Dave7

Hello all,

Need some advice on crack climbing techniques. I am pushing my limits trying to get better and doing harder routes, as I have progressed most of my time has been spent on slabs doing a lot of face climbing. My current project (5.9...i know not that difficult but hey, i am trying to get better) involves a short section of finger cracks on a slightly overhanging rock face. I have top roped it a few times and can't seem to unlock the moves/sequence for this section. I understand the basics of hand jams and foot jams, does anyone have any resources, online reading, or advice for finger jams? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

-Dave

And yes i would love to attend the crack climbing clinic that is coming up in Oregon...however I am on the opposite side of the country...Yikes.

Edited by Dave7

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An extended trip to Squamish.

Other than that, finger cracks climb a lot more like face climbs than other (larger) cracks. Milk the feet and rests and don't plug up the best jams with gear. Perhaps obvious advice but more pertinent to thin cracks than hand cracks or wider IMO especially if the crack is constricting.

Thanks for the article links, some good reads! I think the issue i am having is dealing with the off-width finger cracks. Definitely heading back to the rock soon to try some new techniques.

My current "project" is this 5.9 route at Mt. Yonah Georgia entitled "Army Route 9" (or 8, cant remember). The guide book rates it 5.9 or A1. From other climbers down here in the south, they claim that alot of the ratings in the book are "sandbagged" but that is a whole other topic. I am having fun just trying to get better and learn different techniques.