new tricam sizes

layton

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used both the black and the white regularly since they came out 2? years ago. They are a bit floppy at first, but stiffening them with strips of milk jugs and duct tape makes them much more user friendly. The black is always on my rack. The white only sometimes. I've yet to take a big fall onto either (I don't really want to fall on the white one)

Blacks are the new pink. I love the damn things. The white is body weight only. It is really an aid piece and is not meant to be used in a fall. The white is so small I would not suggest using it in anything other than hard rock. I almost lost one at Smith. Love the black. They work great in those funky pin scars in The Valley.

i have and use all of em from black 0.25 to navy 3 ...

black = blue camalot

pink = grey camalot

red = purple camalot

brown = green camalot

purple = red camalot

blue = wide red/narrow yellow camalot

navy = yellow camalot

keeping those 7 tricams on one biner basically gives me a light set of doubles from 0.3 to #2 camalot with an extra piece to boot ... all for less than 400g

i stiffen them up with the gunks mod and can place them one handed like nuts n cams

• 1 month later...

1. get a piece of flexible plastic like a mcdickies straw or some of that stuff they use around cardboard boxes

2. cut it to the length and wrap some tape around it around the sling of the tricam

it

a. makes the tricam easy to place one handed ... as easy as a nut ...

b. makes the tricam a bit more succeptible to upward pull ... oh well no free lunch

the biggest disadvantage to tricams IMO (other than untrained second cleaning issues) is their floppiness inhibits one handed placements ... with the mod just take the tricam, with the flick of the wrist you can get it ready for passive/active, and put it in the crack, pull to set it ... and yr good to go ... it also increases the reach which you can place the tricam by a few inches

Had all mine setup that way, with stiffener cut from large softdrink bottles and then covered with electronics heatshrink tubing. Then I rigged the heads with sport tape so they also work for one-handed placements either cammed or as regular stoppers.

tricam.jpg

Have to admit, though, that I haven't carried them in years as I don't find them all that compelling on basalt; did used them pretty relentlessly when I lived back east and climbed at the Crow Hill, Gunks, Cathedral, and Cannon.