Musical Offer

Off_White

Wearying of the chasms of politics and climbing style, I've decided to make moves towards unity, and what better medium than music? I confess I've made a near fetish of the cleverly crafted music compilation, and I think The Sincerest Form of Flattery is the best I've ever done. Its a collection of covers that will offer something for anyone from Dwanyner (classic rock fogey) to Dr. Flash Amazing (punk motherfucker). PM me and I'll give you my address, you'll send me one slim dollar to cover cd replication and postage, and I'll send you one fine slab of sonic brilliance guaranteed to provide the soundtrack for your next trip to the crag.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

why not just tell us which files you burned of gnutella and we can copy our own?

Okay, here's a track listing:

RING OF FIRE – wall of voodoo (johnny cash)

UNDER MY THUMB – social distortion (rolling stones)

VOODOO CHILD (SLIGHT RETURN) – angelique kidjo (jimi hendrix)

PETER GUNN – the hellecasters (henry mancini)

COUNTRY ROADS – toots & the maytals (john denver)

HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE - the slits (marvin gaye)

GET READY – giant sand (rare earth)

YOUR TIME IS GONNA COME – dread zepplin (led zepplin)

HAZY SHADE OF WINTER – the bangles (simon & garfunkl)

SECRET AGENT MAN – the plugz (johnny rivers)

SEASONS IN THE SUN – me first & the gimme gimmes (terry jacks)

COME AS YOU ARE – laura love (nirvana)

MY SHARONA – nirvana (the knack)

SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT – the flying pickets (nirvana)

LINEMAN FOR THE COUNTY – naked prey (glen campbell)

SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO – the picketts (the clash)

AMAZING GRACE – dropkick murphys (traditional)

HEIGH HO (THE DWARF’S SONG) – tom waits (walt disney soundtrack)

HEARTBREAK HOTEL – king & moore (elvis presley)

CAN’T EXPLAIN – the spells (the who)

GIN & JUICE – the gourds (snoop doggy dog)

SATISFACTION – cat power (rolling stones)

You're right, I only own official versions of ten of the twenty two tracks, and several of those are vinyl. I was never a gnutella fan though, I was much more into the glory that was the unfettered Napster. Hunt down the tracks and burn your own copy, you'll save fifty cents!

The selection criteria were that the original song had to be recognizable to a mass audience, the cover had to be a significant reinterpretation, and the songs had to have something going for them that would bear repeat listening. Style-wise this one is all over the map, not just a bunch of punk covers of old songs.

Its not any kind of promotion or profit venture, I just had the urge to share one of my obsessions, and didn't want to be deluged by all 2500 odd (nudge nudge) members (wink wink) that might respond if it was "free."

[ 09-10-2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Off White ]

I sent Off a buck, because apparently the fact that it's my BIRTHDAY this week was not enough to sway him to mail me one for free. It looks to be a swell disc.

Hey BTW gang, my car CD player won't play these homemade discs. My other CD player plays them no problem, but that one doesn't like them. Any car stereo geniuses among us that can tell me [Wazzup] with that?

P.S. Last year they cancelled the "We Love Alli" birthday parade down Market Street, something about the nation being in mourning or whatever. I'm just trying to make up some lost ground. Heck, it could have been worse, my gramma's birthday is on the 11th! [Frown]

[ 09-10-2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: allison ]

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

I sent Off a buck, because apparently the fact that it's my BIRTHDAY this week was not enough to sway him to mail me one for free. It looks to be a swell disc.

Hey BTW gang, my car CD player won't play these homemade discs. My other CD player plays them no problem, but that one doesn't like them. Any car stereo geniuses among us that can tell me
[Wazzup]
with that?

you gotta cheap car stereo [Wazzup]

quote:

No, actually I paid real money for it. I'm wondering if it needs cleaning or something?
[Roll Eyes]

Its obsolete sista, forget it. Buy a portable Cd and a car converter kit. Then you can take your CD player to the crag with you so it dont get stolen out of your car. No one steals car tapedecks.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

quote:

No, actually I paid real money for it. I'm wondering if it needs cleaning or something?
[Roll Eyes]

Its obsolete sista, forget it. Buy a portable Cd and a car converter kit. Then you can take your CD player to the crag with you so it dont get stolen out of your car. No one steals car tapedecks.

000 music music music skip... music musi...skip...music music skip...skip...skmus...skipmu...sk...s...s...skip and on and on

• 3 weeks later...