Old Genie Pack - what size was it?

layton

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made my new genie MUCH more functional by doing some minor mods - it was a good pack, now it's a great one

1)removing the foam panel that comes with it and cutting up some yellow hard-man foam - saves almost 100g with no noticeable performance difference

2)getting rid of the bungee in the front - too much of a clusterfuck with the main lid strap running down through it

3) adding bungee ice tool shaft holders

4) replacing the absurdly small and easily broken main buckle with a larger one

5) buying two more buckles and, using some accessory cord, turning the two whole-pack compression straps (which I found super annoying) into 4 separate, buckled straps. Much much more functional now.

6) getting rid of the waist belt 'cause I never use one

I'll post a photo if anybody's interested

According to my very innaccurate kitchen scales, the original genie weighs about 430g - not including foam backpad, or the serratus velcro ice axe holders that were purchased seperately.

the new genie, with all the "mods" listed above weighs about 460g (including backpad, 4 compression straps, bungee ice axe holders, no hipbelt)

both of those were weighed on the same pos scale so at least you get a ballpark comparison between the two.

Cierzo = Genie+

+1

are you talking about the ciervo 18l pack? What is so good about it? It doesn't look that great from a photo but there must be more to it than the photo shows.

It seems to lack both any kind of axe loop and some kind of daisy chain.

Cierzo = Genie+

+1

are you talking about the ciervo 18l pack? What is so good about it? It doesn't look that great from a photo but there must be more to it than the photo shows.

It seems to lack both any kind of axe loop and some kind of daisy chain.

I have an 18L and a 35L. The 18L replaced my well used Grivel Manu (RIP) and is my new long rock route bag. Perfect size for some water, descent shoes, a layer and some snacks. Gene is right: no ice axe loops on this one.

The 35L is my new alpine go to. I had the old one which was great but the new one is that much better. Might be a little big if you never plan on carrying bivy gear in it... I'd say look at the 25L if that is the case but given the small difference in weight between the 25L and the 35L I'd say just grab the 35L.

The new 35L feels a touch bigger than the old 35L and is one hell of a great design. Super impressed with it. but dont take my word for it... just look at Colin's blog and see which pack he uses in Alaska...