American climbing culture

Scottish_wanker

New member, been reading spray and TR to understand local scene and what gives dudes???

Let me explain.

Typical TR from my era in Scotland

" The smell of vomit from last night's booze and indian curry burnt my nostrils as I slogged up the bog to the base of Zero gully. It was snowing and my wool clothing was itching my back as I drew near my climb. Horizontal sleet, full conditions, no English on the Ben today, they'd all be down south in their tube socks and balley shoes clambering over their beloved gritstone.I took an extra wrap on my axe and sank it into the ice, 1.00pm and only two hours till dark...........Ahh this is the life.......

Whereas here a TR might look like this

"I had just finished the tapering period of my 18 week training cycle and had decided to attempt a AI4,M9,70% 5.10,C2 on Karma Peak. I had loaded up on carbs and drunk 1 litre of Cytomax and consumed 100mg of Gu. My brain synchronization had centered me and as I clothed myself in my new Arcteryx bibs( I love those zip garages!)I attempta figure four with my carbon fibre cobras...............

You guys all turning cissy or what.??????

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point about the gear and I'm no luddite either but I was attracted to climbimg as a way of life and never considered it a sport and I guess my point is that everything here seems to be focused on how high a grade, how fast etc and it's losing something. Jeeeeeeeeeeeez you guys are sure touchy, thought free speech and rigerous discussion was welcomed here...................pansy ass. [HORSECOCK]

Take your porridge platypus and shove it up your poopshoot! [laf] Americans are well-known as the international sissies in extreme climbing. But look how many europeans die each year in the mountains. I don't mind having a lower tolerance for risk. Why don't you go hook up with Joe Simpson for a little Ben Nevis action? Your odds are about 50:50 right? Not bad. [rockband]

Pretty Funny [laf] even though I resemble the cytomax swiller getting all synched up on Mt. Karma far more than the old-school Scottish fellow.

You'll have to strap on the oilskin and the wool-knickers, grab the Terrordactyl, chop-steps up the flanks of one of the local peaks and submit your own TR in full Scottish style. [smile]

[ 08-27-2002, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: JayB ]

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Take your porridge platypus and shove it up your poopshoot!
[laf]
Americans are well-known as the international sissies in extreme climbing. But look how many europeans die each year in the mountains. I don't mind having a lower tolerance for risk. Why don't you go hook up with Joe Simpson for a little Ben Nevis action? Your odds are about 50:50 right? Not bad.
[rockband]

Who metioned anything about risk, in both examples they were solo climbers. It's about attitude! Recently met bunch og guys who had just done Ptarmigan Traverse. Spraying about how fast they did it and how easy it was.They were light and fast and had all he gear (and so would I have), but whose doing the equivalent of the Ptarmigan traverse in the N.Cascades today?? With our modern gear and training , climbers should be exceeding the rigours that that magnificent group accomplished in their old fashioned gear. Seems most I meet only want to repeat these feats in a faster time.Risk is not the issue..... shove your apple pie up your ass, pilgrim. [Eek!]

Clearly you didn't see my TR about free soloing the ISS in a day. Let's see Mal Duff or Mr. McWhoever get his carcass up that thing in wool and knickers. [Eek!] It will only take you a few days here to realize the hardcores on this site rarely post at all, while the more mediocre ones spray away w/ glee. Remember there's a wide range of skill on this board, from those just getting on their first cascade peak to some of the most experienced climbers in the N.W. climbing the serious stuff. And somehow we get along occasionally! [laf]

quote:

Clearly you didn't see my TR about free soloing the ISS in a day. Let's see Mal Duff or Mr. McWhoever get his carcass up that thing in wool and knickers.
[Eek!]
It will only take you a few days here to realize the hardcores on this site rarely post at all, while the more mediocre ones spray away w/ glee. Remember there's a wide range of skill on this board, from those just getting on their first cascade peak to some of the most experienced climbers in the N.W. climbing the serious stuff. And somehow we get along occasionally!
[laf]

Glad to hear it and I'll look up your TR. Thanks for the education. Just being the devil's advocate.....

quote:

Originally posted by Scottish wanker:

quote:

Clearly you didn't see my TR about free soloing the ISS in a day. Let's see Mal Duff or Mr. McWhoever get his carcass up that thing in wool and knickers.
[Eek!]
It will only take you a few days here to realize the hardcores on this site rarely post at all, while the more mediocre ones spray away w/ glee. Remember there's a wide range of skill on this board, from those just getting on their first cascade peak to some of the most experienced climbers in the N.W. climbing the serious stuff. And somehow we get along occasionally!
[laf]

Glad to hear it and I'll look up your TR. Thanks for the education. Just being the devil's advocate.....

Just thought of something you said.The more the spray, then the less the hardcore?!

Are you the Hardcore/Spraylord exception to this rule??? Just trying to understand the rules you are teaching me....... the only reason I started this forum was because I want to get some posts quickly and become a real wanker and not a lurker anymore . I've always been a wanker and wanking is the only thing i'm good at. [smile][sNAFFLEHOUND]

quote:

Originally posted by Scottish wanker:

The more the spray, then the less the hardcore?

There is no correlation:

Trask sprays with the best of 'em, but keeps his climbing to himself.

Dru sprays second to none, and can quote everything from climbing history to obscure route beta on command while making you shoot beer out of your nose.

DFA can go round after round in the spray ring, but being a sportclimber, many would question whether he's actually hardcore or not.

SK is a spray queen, but is more likely to hit you with emoticons than actual beta.

Everyone sprays, but each in their own particular way...

[ 08-27-2002, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: jkrueger ]

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

I wouldn't know about the gear required. I'm into boats and cars and shit. I simply mention this option because of your semblance to a most auspicious scuba climber from Wenatchee.
[smile]
Keep talkin', your post count is growing.

The thing I want to know is why is everybody picking on me about wool clothing? What's wrong with wool----it's sooooooo soft and smells soooo good and they have such pretty hooves, and that bleating sound they make when............I've gotta go