Hammer choices

billcoe

I was out with a buddy who had made his own but still a very small hammer. Figured he needed a bigger one so I got one of the Omega Pacific monsters for him. Realized that I had altogether too many of these things anyway.

His is the new one with the tag in the bag on the left.

Resized_Omega_Pacific_hammers.jpg

Left to right CMI, Salewa, CMI, Salewa, Stubai

Resized_Mixed_hammers.jpg

2 Kong Eagle heavy hammers (850 grams)

Resized_Kong_Eagle_heavy_hammers.jpg

2 D5 (left) and 2 A5 Hammers (right)

Resized_D5_and_A5_hammers.jpg

Some Chouinard hammers. The one on the right I was told was made by Chouinard for the 10th Mt division.

Resized_Chouinard_Hammers.jpg

Next up, arguably the best hammer ever made: Forrest.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P1030714.JPG

You mean this one? I've had and used it since the mid '70s, Have to say I like a hickory handled Chouinard, A5 (or its new clone) or BD version better. Although none have stood the test of time this one has.

The rubber handle was always too slick when it got hot and I got sweaty. So I cross hatched it with a file early on. Which helped some, but still like a nice wood handle better when beating nails in the hot sun. Looks like we use the same climbing tape wrap method to protect and make the hammer more useable in the heat. I just unwrapped mine for the picture.

Why are wall hammers so expensive?
They just have a real low volume of production, are a pain in the ass to produce, ask JH on that he's writing a book:-) :lmao:

You bastard - don't do it! You know how that hurts my pride...

I've already given up almost all my gear because I realized I could never keep up, yet you keep poking with that long-handled Forrest hammer pic.

You can touch it anytime....LOL, it's a buck per touch. Kidding, with your stewardship of the D5 project, of course you can touch and fondle to your hearts content no charge; hmm, why does that sound wrong? You have loaner rights anytime you want. In fact, bolting a few routes will help your soul out.

Couple of saga links:

The D5 Saga

The D5 saga middle