Trango Equalizer

chris54

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got one. It's quick, simple and effective. I have the two-anchor version.

Is it worth it?

I paid $5 for mine so price wise I think it was worth it.

Weight wise?

Well, it weighs more than the equivalent slings, so depends on your objective.

Multi-use wise?

Same answer - slings are slings. This can't really be used as a sling, so it stays home on those days when I think slings will be more useful overall.

Haven't used it with rock pro yet, but it's great for sketchy ice as you're guaranteed an even distribution on both pieces. I imagine it'll be the same on rock.

I haven't done a direct comparison to anchor setup with the equalizer vs slings, but I imagine there is some time saved, so perhaps on very long routes it's extra weight is a good payoff.

Check out the Alpine Cock Ring. Looks good on paper though I haven't had a chance to use it. Low budget and more versatile. Long discussion thread on Mountain Project if you're interested.

www.paulraphaelson.com/downloads/acr.pdf

Edited by yikes

I bought one sometime back and used it a few times. It's nice but in my opinion a piece of cordelette is more versatile. Cordelette works the exact same way, weighs less, costs less and can be chopped up to use as anchors if you need it.

haven't used a full blown cordalette in years.

Am a big fan of web-o-lette's or rabbit runners though (long runner sewn loop in each end). quick and dirty for 2 piece, fast and light for 3 piece, great for slinging stuff. Not quite as strong or redundant, but I expect the gear to blow before the web-o-lette does.

YMMV

Edited by selkirk

Check out the Alpine Cock Ring. Looks good on paper though I haven't had a chance to use it. Low budget and more versatile. Long discussion thread on Mountain Project if you're interested.

www.paulraphaelson.com/downloads/acr.pdf

I generally use an alpine cock ring as well. I have it tied on a 17' length of 6mm spectra cord. Light, versatile, and relatively cheap. Never leave home without it.

don't like the ACR system - it's not "SERENE" unless you clove the pieces - at which point you say why not just use a cordalette or webolette? I'd rather have imperfect equalization than shockloading with extension.

Edited by layton