Maybe Silly, but necessary question - Packing

carolyn

Okay, I really AM heading out to your area soon. My plane leaves on Sept 2.

Anyway, I only want to bring my backpack and then maybe a daypack. I am trying to figure out how the hell to fit all of my stuff in it, and get it on /off the plane safely.

For those of you who have travelled with all your gear, how do you pack it in a way that you dont have your axes, helmets, etc hanging from the outside of your pack where they can easily get lost or stolen?

Sorry, if it seems like a dumb question but as most of you know I am very knew to this.

Also, what is the most appropriate type of clothing to bring. Remember when you say it might be "cold", I think Minnesota cold (mukluks,heavy shell, balaclava, etc) tongue.gif I will be in Portland and then the N. cascades, mainly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!

be well,

be safe,

carolyn

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fit your sharp things like axes and crampons in your bag, and cover their tips with socks or tape or cardboard so they don't poke holes in things.

Clothing: bring stuff that's good in the rain. It won't be Minnesota cold, but it could be just cold enough to snow in the mountains.

Caveys right, the sequrity gaurds won't like it if you are carryin crampons, ice axes, etc. on board. Avoid checking a big pack by itself. Instead, put it in a big cheap large duffel, that way the straps wont get torn off.

I would keep my helmet in my carry-on so it doesn't get broken when the baggage handeler throws it off the truck!

Leave the mukluks at home smile.gif

Oh yeah, leave the fuel at home too, and check with the airline about a stove beforehand!

[This message has been edited by lambone (edited 08-20-2001).]

Thanks,

duffel bag is a good idea. Think I have seen them at that wonderful REI store for a zillion bucks. frown.gif (good thing I am getting a fair amount of money from my recent car accident grin.gif).

Can you tell how anxious I am about checking my gear in on an airline. EEEEKS! If I lost it!!!! *trying not to think about it*

Got good rain gear. Except my boots, which decided to crap out on me last week in the rain. Dont wanna get new ones right now, so I best find some good waterproofing stuff.

Sheeeeeesh, its so early out there! Almost bedtime for me over yonder! tongue.gif

Carolyn -- if you don't care too much about looks, you can get a canvas duffel bag at the surplus store. They're harder to kill than cordura, although some of the newer bags are pretty bombproof. Also, you get better value if you stay away from the higher end labels: North Face, etc. Outdoor Products sells some big duffels for good money.

On clothes, bring wool and a shell that won't weight 10 lb when wet. You can pick up secondhand boots for reasonable prices in Seattle at Second Ascent.

A few other suggestions if you don't want to spend $ on an overpriced duffle. Box it, no one will know what the hell is in a random brown cardboard box, plus you can take the time to pack your gear so it is protected. At least use one of those fancy airline supplied heavy plastic bags. You can slide your whole pack in it, protecting it from idiot handlers. Ive done both and either work well. As pointed, don't bring fuel, but if asked about a stove, lie, they just want to see if you might have fuel.(in the stove) I've lied and they don't press the point to hard.

[This message has been edited by slaphappy (edited 08-20-2001).]

If you have partners to climb with out here, you might avoid the hassle of bringing fuel bottles/stoves by leaving the stuff at home and use your partner's. The duffle bag is key - make sure you lock up the zipper and tape up all the sharp points.

This time of year you can get away with just having a synthetic fill jacket and gore-tex. Leave the plastic boots at home if you have heavyweight leathers.

Are you going to make it to the CC Climber's fest?

You folks are all fantastic!

Thank you sooo much for the ideas and reassurance. i never thought about the stove or the fuel. Ive been borrowing a lot this summer and was planning on picking up a stove before heading out, but maybe I will wait.

Lambone, and all...what do I hope to get out out of this trip? Well as I said in one of my initial posts I had a scholarship for an outward bound course which got cancelled. I will be taking one of the courses in the spring (for free thank goodness grin.gif).

I just feel like I have worked too hard this summer physically, emotionally, and financially to say "okay see ya in the spring". So I am coming out anyway!

Ideally, my goal is to learn and get some experience on glaciers. I would LOVE to do some ice climbing if conditions warrant it. (cause gwad I LOVE ice climbing)

A summit or two would be nice, however the learning, safety and enjoyment of the trip are much more important to me.

My plans are still flexible and up in the air. I am flying into portland on the 2nd and will spend some time with a good friend of mine who wants to take me on some hikes. My uncle, who has climbed all over the world wants to take me out for a climb or two.

At the moment I plan on staying in the portland area until the 9th, then I am moving onward. I will be heading to the N. cascades with my pack in some cheap rental car. There have been a few people from this site who have shown interest in taking me out climbing. I plan on meeting with some of them and deciding if we will be compatible. I also have a friend who guides for RMI and if he is given time off will be heading up N with me.

If worse comes to worse, I have been looking up places to backpack and I will just do some solo backpacking for a few weeks. grin.gif

Unfortunately I will not be in the area for the big fall fest. I believe my flight from seattle leaves a few days before the big date.*sigh*

I wish I could explain how badly I want to learn more about climbing. I wish I could even understand myself why I would want to. Unfortunately I have this complex, this fear that has kept me away from it for so long...and still causes me to hesitate at times. I wonder what makes me so special to think I deserve to be part of the beauty the mountains hold.

Its time to stop questioning and analyzing and start doing...THAT is the purpose of this trip!

I hope I explained it well enough.

be well,

be safe,

carolyn

[This message has been edited by carolyn (edited 08-20-2001).]

A welcome to the NW when you get in.

When I travel with my backpack, I use the Airlines plastic bags. I have never had a problem with damage. The only problem that I had is some airlines\airports don't have them (southwest in Las Vegas :{ ). Check for the plastic bags at the curb check-in. If they don't have them, walk to another airline stand and ask. It was fun putting a big bag with United Airlines all over it to the Southwest agent.

Kinda off the subject, but I went to a NoMeansNo (Victoria, BC band) show yrs ago and the band was poised to give away free Hanson Bros CDs if ANYONE in the audient could answer even the easiest Hanson Bros trivia question. No one could do it (non-hockey literate Americans) and the band was rightly horrified...

Carolyn, for really beautiful backpacking and nice summits, don't overlook the Olympic Penninsula. Coming up from Portland, cut over at Olympia onto #101 or go across the Tacoma Narrows bridge further north. You can then cut back to the N. Cascades via the Port Townsend Ferry to Whidby Island and drive off the north end over deception pass right onto Hwy 20. The hike into the Brothers above the lake (about 1/2 way)through the valley of silent men is one of the best I've ever seen in this state. Mt. Deception also has beautiful approach. Mt. Anderson has 2 fairly mellow glaciers to cross with a fun little section over flypaper pass. Also, another nice approach. Just a thought!

For packing, definitely get a big, STURDY duffle bag. Carry your day pack with personal stuff on the plane.

PS: You might not go back to Minnesota after you've been here!

Bobbinc do you mean the "Slapshot" Hansen brothers? They were reasl live hockey players in a little league in the upper midwest, they played for the Iron Rangers in real life, actually called the Carlson brothers, and two of them played themselves in the movie. They were from my hometown, their pictures were up in the donors' room of the palestra, and sorry, they weren't even Canooks, just some crazy Yoopers!

Who can name the hometown of the real Hansen brothers?

I don't know for sure but I'm think any references to the Hansen Brothers and hockey playing is based on the seventies hockey movie, "Slapshot" starring Paul Neuman as a embattled coach of a struggling pro-am hockey team. The owner decides he's going to sell the team and Neuman's character decides to import these wild-n-crazy canadians(in the movie) to spice up the league play. Pretty funny movie and touching, too, but these Hansens were totally Whacked! guys in real life, the pictures of them up in the palestra(ice rink) had them in the dorky black framed glasses WITH TAPE IN THE MIDDLE just like in the movies-

any one know their hometown?

Okay -- did some quick research and appears it WAS a Hollywood thing: Hansons played for the Charlestown Chiefs in the film but, in real life, all had played at some level of pro hockey, including the WHA.

Apparently, the sequel to the film is now being shot in Vancouver.

And the "Hansen brothers" of Punk Rock are actually the Wright Brothers from, NoMeansNo. Famous for punk songs about hockey like "Pencil Necked Geek".

Yeah - I saw one of the Hansens in a bar a few months back. I dunno if that movie will be any good they are kinda old & wrinkly now... if only they would make a Strange brew sequel... smile.gif