[TR] Mt Kent North Face - Burdick-Fortier Var. 1/3/2011

Peakpimp

Trip: Mt Kent North Face - Burdick-Fortier Var.

Date: 1/3/2011

Trip Report:

On Monday Jan. 3rd. I soloed the north face of Mt. Kent near Snoqualmie pass. After receiving an email from Z-Man that the face was in good shape and that he had lain a nice track up and down, I couldn't resist.

I left my car at 6:50 and hiked up to the Alice Creek drainage before leaving the trail. Upon reaching F.S. road 9020 I donned my skis and began skinning up toward the peak. After a few switchbacks I reached the point to drop down and cross the creek below the face. I then skinned up nearly to the base and wallowed the last 100m or so. I put the skis on my pack and began climbing around 11am.

P1030292.JPG

MClellan Butte in the morning light

P1030294.JPG

Frozen creek

P1030295.JPG

The foreshortened WI3 bit

P1030297.JPG

Ski boots and Sabertooths

The first bit was approximately 50ft of WI3. I was unaccustomed to climbing with skis on my pack, and had to occasionally swing back between them to get a good stick, the ice was good and the climbing very enjoyable. I took my time soloing the ice pitch and eventually topped out into a large snow filled gully split by a tree lined ridge. The left side of the ridge appeared to be more interesting with small steps and bulges of water ice but I was unsure of the traverse back to the right where I knew the route would eventually go. I opted for the right side of the tree ridge and proceeded to wallow through deep soft snow until I could see a clear path up the gully. I climbed the gully until it terminated at a rocky headwall forcing me more to the right in the direction of the larger gully higher up.

I came upon a snowy ridge crest in the trees and contemplated a rappel into the main gully. A few minuets of searching revealed that a steep snow traverse was possible higher up making a rappel unnecessary. I stopped here for a bit and had some water and a snack. I noticed these strange tracks in the snow delicately climbing up the crest of the small snow arete. At first I thought they were crampon marks but after noticing the waist deep trough I had been cutting up to this point I figured there was no way they where made by a human. After resting I completed the horribly insecure snow traverse with the sugary footing threatening to give way underneath me with every step.

P1030303.JPG

Animal Tracks

P1030301.JPG

Main Gully

I was finally in the main gully with a light trail of intermittent boot steps to follow. The climbing was about 30-45deg and varied from nice hard frozen neve to waist deep powder. I proceeded up until the gully split again. At this point I believe the Burdick-Fortier takes the left branch to a small section of steep snow and the summit ridge. I took the right branch which eventually ended in a very sweet mixed headwall about 15ft tall. Nice verglas, turf sticks, and some rock holds for hands kept things interesting before the final 20ft of snow led through the trees to the summit ridge. Unfortunately no pics here due to frozen batteries.

I topped out after 3hrs on the face (less time than the damn approach!) to beautiful sun and views of Mt. Rainier. I completed the slog to the summit and took in the splendor of the cascades spread out before me in the early afternoon light. After a short break on the summit I once again donned skis and began the decent by skiing directly off the summit.

P1030310.JPG

P1030314.JPG

Alpental area

P1030320.JPG

The Olympics

P1030327.JPG

Sweet!

The backside of the mountain was a beautiful powder run though perfectly spaced trees. I made some amazing turns while wrapping back around to below the north face once again and my ascent tracks which I followed back to the creek just as it was getting dark. I hiked up to the road cut and skied back down to where I first gained the road packed my skis and hiked back down to the car fairly exhausted but completely fulfilled.

P1030337.JPG

P1030345.JPG

Gear Notes:

Skis, tools, crampons and a good partner.

Approach Notes:

Skis or snowshoes a must

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic