2nd question...down or synthetic...

TheMessenger2

How much does this really matter...

If your talking about a down -30deg bag vs a syn. -30deg bag. is warmth/durability/keeping you alive outweigh the extra pound of weight and the 6in taller stuff size? what about if you are cooking inside your tent and that condenses on your bag....will the down hold up?

And the same goes for a 20 deg bag that your going to use in spring summer and early fall....do the weight and space savings out weigh the fact that it might rain and at that point youll prolly be a little SOL with a down bag....

Just wondering how the majority sees it. I have had people tell me that 650 or 800 fill down is the only way to go but they A.) havent slept below -5 deg on the cold side and B.) didnt take extended trips with rain. I have checked out some MH -30 deg bags and I cant see where the weight and size would matter that much in the case of it gettting wet..

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the short answer would be down is superior to synthetic in every way if you can keep it dry. I am a huge believer in synthetic insulation for outerwear but still rely on down bags but I don't intentionally climb in the rain.

The difference in weight and compressiblity between a synthetic bag and high quality down bag is considerable in my view, especially if you are looking at -30 bags where the difference is over 2lbs. A synthetic bag that warm is to me at least, far to bulky to consider.

As temperatures drop the more sense it makes to get a down bag, both for weight and space savings and because rain will not be likely.

Just because a bag is rated to -30 doesn't mean it is the same as another bag rated to -30. I find it hard to believe that any -30 synthetic is the same "warmth" as a down -30. That bag would fill any backpack.

some companies use "survival" as a measure. Some use comfort as the measure.

If you are buying a -30 bag, I think you need to need a comfort rating. Multiple nights at -30 in a survival rated bag could mean non-survival.

Synthetic bags really only belong on a big wall. For alpine climbing, all this jibber jabber about "what if my bag gets wet" is ridiculous. Sounds like too much marketing, selling you that you need to have 10 sleeping bags.

So yes it does matter. If you get a synthetic bag, you will be buying a down one before your next trip. So save yourself the money and just buy a quality down bag up front.

Can't see using cold weather synthetic bags. Roll with a VBL on extended trips and any decent down shell fabric will shed exterior moisture in the cold. Very narrow range of conditions that I'd even consider a synth. bag for, such that I've sold both of mine without regret.

Any -10, 20, or 30 degree synthetic bag will just be waaay to huge to even consider carrying anywhere that you'd actually need it.

A better question to ask the cc.com knowledge base would be "how to you keep your -10, 20, 30 down sleeping bag dry on extended winter trips?"