Rope found in Index?

Nwdiver

<snip excess testosterone>

Anyway, think about it this way: If I find a $20 bill on the sidewalk, I feel pretty good about putting it in my pocket. If I find a wallet with $20 in it, with ID that tells me who's it is, I don't.

I think ScottP's example is the most difficult. I agree that the guy had no "right" to demand his gear back. He had made a decision to leave it behind. But his personal responsibility in leaving the piece behind has *no impact* on your personal decision to keep the booty or return it. Ethically, they are two totally separate issues. (Legally, I'm sure the cam belongs to ScottP. I think I would've given it back, but that's me)

Finally, in the interest of full disclosure, I should admit that when I was in college, several friends and I made a habit of driving out to Index early on Monday mornings for the express purpose of bootying gear off of Godzilla and Princely Ambitions, and we rarely made the drive in vain. But on the one occasion that we found a note pinned to a tree describing our find and asking for its return, we finally decided that we just didn't feel good about keeping it. I didn't have it in me to feel like I was profiting off of someone's epic - at least not someone who's name I knew and might someday run into.

Think about it and come to a conclusion that you are comfortable with.

Forrest "reformed booty hunter"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caveman,

So you tell me to "get lost", then half an hour later you start shit talking me some more. Nice touch. I was happy to drop it, to tell you the truth.

My posts weren't meant to attack Erik personally and had even less to do with you.

So what's with the vitriol?

w-

you gotta remember caveman is stupid! with a forehead like that, there is no possible way for him to make an intelligent comment. me on the other hand, i make no excuses. i just truly enjoy the havoc!

and there is nothing personal on the internet, so don't take it that way.

[This message has been edited by erik (edited 05-08-2001).]

oh no, nothing personal taken. I'm just trying to get a read.

but thanks. i'm irritable today. it's only tuesday and i'm also a short timer at work.

chongo? hell. I've got something for you, caveman. I bought a whole case of Team Harsh Realm T-shirts, and i'll drop em on your head.

I think it is a little shallow of people to think of forgetting something as a bonehead move. I didnt realize climbers were so perfect. I know that I am not. I wasnt going to make fun of my buddy for forgetting his rope because it could happen to me next time.

Personally, if I find gear I attempt to return it to the original owner. No matter what it is. Think of it as good karma or whatever, but everyone screws up sometimes. And I hope that next time I screw up and leave something behind, maybe I will get it back. But I dont expect anything.

In the case of my buddies rope, he drove back there yesterday after work and found a note in its place with a name and phone number. So it looks like he will be getting back his rope.

nwdiver: chalk one up for the good guys.

On the other hand, forgetting your rope in the parking lot *is* a bonehead move. Actually, it might *define* bonehead move. It doesn't make you a bad person, or even a bad climber. I once left the gas cap on top of my car and drove on for four hours 'til the next gas stop. Doesn't make me a bad driver. But definately a bonehead move. ;-)

Well, Yes. I see your point there. I guess I was meaning to get the point across that it doesnt mean a person is a 'bonehead' for it. But I sure bet he wont make that mistake again. (I will definately make fun of him at that point).

I was real bad about loosing gas caps when I was younger. Luckily for me my last several vehicles either have attached caps or a spot in the cover to store them!

i know one thing now, if i ever leave a piece of gear somewhere, i sure as a flying Neanderthal know better than to ask on CascadeClimbers.com for its return.

nice attitudes assholes "look out for number one!" I'm glad you can find someone to climb with cause all that bad karma's got insurance claims written all over it.

Nwdiver, good luck, hope you get it back

------------------

safe climbing! vkaspar

vkaspar,

Karma my ass. If you find gear stuck in a crack your reward for unsticking it is to keep it. I think this is a pretty well accepted attitude. I've lost gear and I've unstuck gear so everything evens out bozo. If you've read the posts most everyone would try and return anything of value left in a parking lot.

I sure admire crazyjz's ability to stir up trouble.