Indefinite Detention?

rob

So, what do you guys think about the recent SCOTUS ruling that sex offenders can be held indefinitely, even after their prison sentences are complete?

This sounds pretty fucked up to me.

Under the statute, prosecutors may petition a court to detain a prisoner even after completion of his prison sentence if they can show by "clear and convincing evidence" that the person remains a risk to others.

Clear and convincing evidence? Convincing to who? Another jury? Do they even find out for how long they will be indefinitely held for? WTF? Due process????

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for the fear of soshalists dumping the bodies of their enemies in mass graves, eh, KuntKuntKunt?

I think executing a 20 year old for nailing a 16 year old is a fine idea. Very civilized.

You can start with the Catholic priests molesting alter boys, you ACLU fucktard moron. :wave:

To some, they'd be equivalent, I suppose. But then, that same group also eats its own poo.

So much for the fear of soshalists dumping the bodies of their enemies in mass graves, eh, KuntKuntKunt?

I think executing a 20 year old for nailing a 16 year old is a fine idea. Very civilized.

You can start with the Catholic priests molesting alter boys, you ACLU fucktard moron. :wave:

To some, they'd be equivalent, I suppose. But then, that same group also eats its own poo.

Is this where you start replying to your own postings 3, 4, even 5 or more times?

Is this where you start replying to your own postings 3, 4, even 5 or more times?

kinda like jeb stuart in the wild n' heady days of '62? :)

'might be a retard, but i will FAHQ yer ass up at some civil war triva sport :P

"a hit! a very papable hit!"

shapeimage_3.jpg

So, what do you guys think about the recent SCOTUS ruling that sex offenders can be held indefinitely, even after their prison sentences are complete?

Under the statute, prosecutors may petition a court to detain a prisoner even after completion of his prison sentence if they can show by "clear and convincing evidence" that the person remains a risk to others.

Clear and convincing evidence? Convincing to who? Another jury? Do they even find out for how long they will be indefinitely held for? WTF? Due process????

We've been doing that up here for quite a while now. They're called "Dangerous Offenders" and can be held after their original sentence is served, up to and including "indefinitely". The "D.O." status has to be reviewed after 5 or 7(?) years, and then every 2 years after that. But if you're a Paul Bernardo, or a Clifford Olson, or a Robert Pickton, chances are the review panel is going to find that, well, you're still kinda "dangerous", you know?

But then, we're a bunch of soft-on-crime, limp-wristed liberal pussies up here, so what else would you expect?

We've been doing that up here for quite a while now. They're called "Dangerous Offenders" and can be held after their original sentence is served, up to and including "indefinitely". The "D.O." status has to be reviewed after 5 or 7(?) years, and then every 2 years after that. But if you're a Paul Bernardo, or a Clifford Olson, or a Robert Pickton, chances are the review panel is going to find that, well, you're still kinda "dangerous", you know?

:tup:

But then, we're a bunch of soft-on-crime, limp-wristed liberal pussies up here, so what else would you expect?

If they're so dangerous, why don't you just give them long or even life sentences with a periodic parole review, just in case they turn over a new leaf? You don't fuck the rule of law in the ass that way.

I realize a solution like the above is utterly beyond TripleKunt's comprehension, but still.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

If they're so dangerous, why don't you just give them long or even life sentences with a periodic parole review, just in case they turn over a new leaf? You don't fuck the rule of law in the ass that way.

Fucking the rule of law in the ass? How so? If you, say, kidnap teenaged girls and keep them locked up in your house, using them as sex slaves for weeks or months before torturing them to death, and then cutting them up with Skil saws in order to dispose of the remains, well, that's against the law. And if we catch you breaking the law in that way, like Paul Bernardo, we're going to put you away - indefinitely. That's how the law is written. That's the "rule".

In the past, we used to just hang people like Bernardo and Olson and Pickton, until we decided the practice was a) wrong b) ineffective and c) resulting in way too many innocent people being hanged. So we came up with this "dangerous offender" notion to deal with those people we secretly really, really want to hang, but can't because it's against the law.

The "dangerous offender" designation is reserved for those who, let's face it, are probably more appropriately confined - indefinitely - in a psychiatric facility, rather than in a prison. As far as I know, the dangerous offender designation has to be determined at the time of your trial, and in fact is treated as a sub-trial. You're entitled to all the normal legal protections of an accused on trial, including all the usual rules of evidence and testimony, right to representation, right to appeal, etc. It's not just some arbitrary edict sent down by an anonymous tribunal somewhere. It's not applied retroactively. It's part of your sentencing at the time of your trial. It's part of how our rules of law are applied, not a violation of them.

So, why have sentences at all? Just keep them all indefinitely.

If it's not applied retroactively, and it's applied at the time of your trial (not true, btw -- prosecutors can lobby the court AFTER the sentence is finished and they decide they are still "dangerous" -- there is no second trial), then why give a sentence at all? Why not just start the indefinite detention immediately?

kkkkk, I'm sad that you're in support of this. :(

I mean, it's so unamerican. If the sentence ended and officials were still worried he was dangerous, then they should have to prove that in court with a jury of his peers. And even if they add indefinite detention to the original sentence and cover it during the original trial, how often is it reviewed? By a jury of his peers, or just between the judge and prosecutor? What are the criteria for deciding he is still dangerous? Are the criteria listed, or are they arbitrary? Who gets to decide?

fucking scary. I can't believe that the supreme court would be OK with this, and I am even more surprised that anybody I know would be.

Edited by rob