Backbone ridge offwidth

keenwesh

can I do it without a #5? how bad would the run-out be? a total solo? or like a 40 foot fall onto a slab? anyone have a #5 they'd loan me? I just can't justify buying a $100 cam that I'd never use. oh, and I don't really climb offwidths at all.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll want an old 5 or a new 6. You'd be walking it up. But the OW isn't bad or harsh. It's in a corner. You can fit your butt cheek/torso in if you're not fat. You can stem with your left foot in and right foot on the wall with your back against the corner. Many have done it without a big piece. You just run it out 25 feet. Ideally you should be trim and fit. Then you can shove your ass cheek in there and chillax. Or, save money, but not weight and bring a tire jack. That works too.

If you choose not to bring a big piece your last piece would be a #4. The OW isn't vertical. And their are holds for your right foot. That's pretty much all the beta. If you brought a new #5, it wouldn't get you far, (about a 3ft. usable space.) So again, bring the biggest one if you do.

Stop by and I'll lend you my #6 - seriously.

We used a #5 for most of it and I walked it for a few moves. It would be a good runout without, so it's up to you. The OW is not hard though or very strenuous... but it is still nice to protect. So yeah, the 5 was fine, but the 6 would take you farther and the weight difference wouldn't be that much. But whatever, if you want to borrow a #5 you can borrow mine.

Doug

Edited by cbcbd

The Manly Wham is a fine route, well done. As for that upper part, it's a clean fall, though you might shriek just a little bit. The trick is to just go ahead and make the move rather than getting hung up on clipping as soon as you can, makes a much more stable stance than teetering on the slab with your heel in space.