upper Index town wall in shape?

stevetimetravlr

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbed the Dragon on Sunday. First pitch and a half was soaked everything else was bone dry. 1st pitch of DH was drenched but the 2nd pitch was definitely good to go. This was immediately after a day of hard rain.

Basically I think Index is not experiencing the typical amount of winter seepage that normally occurs due to the dry winter. Hence everything is drying out quickly.

it'll be worth the drive i'll wager - how many happy hours i spent on that wall this summer! take a ledge and set up camp 1 pitch up and enjoy both green dragon and town crier - from my experience last spring, i'd recommend a bivy sack at least or better yet a ledge-fly as the drips coming off the main watercourse get blown around a lot in the wind

I hope nobody objects to a sales pitch here, but how many of you folks have contributed to the Index Fund? I add this message here because I'm thinking that dedicated Index climbers are likely to view this thread.

[solicitation]

There are a lot of ways you could look at it but I would say that anybody who thinks Index is one of their favorite places to climb and who visits there every chance they get might weigh a donation there compared to a gym membership - except that this we hope will be a "one time" donation rather than an ongoing fee. How much did you spend at the gym last year? What about your gas and beer money for one season at Index? That shiny portaledge that you bought and used one night on the Upper Town Wall?

If Index is not your "favorite" place to climb, but "important" to you, consider that RIGHT NOW now we have an opportunity to secure access and ownership there, and think about what it is worth.

We're over half way to our fund-raising goal ($165k out of $300k) and we need your support.

[/solicitation]

The Washington Climbers Coalition has an option to buy Index Town Wall, and our plan is to turn it into a permanent climbing park. The area is presently in private ownership and the owner has been permissive over the years but wants to sell, proposes to sell the area for potential quarrying, and easily could sell to someone less friendly to climbing. Meanwhile, we have an opportunity to make some basic improvements to parking and installation of a toilet, and secure upgraded crossing status with the Burlington Northern. If there was ever a worthy cause, this is it.