The New Poor

prole

How do you explain what's happened to wages in Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, etc, etc, etc as a consequence of the race to the bottom? Shouldn't the standard of living have continuously declined in all of the above cases? How have they fared vs countries that adopted the import substitution models that you favor, such as Argentina, etc?

Korea's spectacular economic success is also due to protectionism, so was Japan's, Taiwan's, etc .., like 99% of economic expansions throughout time (including our own). Argentina's economy cratered thanks to the neoliberal economics that you advocate. If you want to see what happens in the race to the bottom check out the textile industry, where manufacturers are now finding even cheaper labor in Africa and other destitute places.

How does a country that's engaged in a pell-mell race to the bottom wind up outsourcing production to the US?

what are you talking about?

Korea, Japan, etc - all mentioned as leading contestants in the "race to the bottom" on account of their formerly low wages - have manufacturing operations in the US.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if the rest of the world disappeared altogether the combination of technology and competition within the US would have the same effect.

no, it wouldn't.

Speaking of which - why are you limiting your critique to workers overseas, when there are plenty of workers in the US who are willing to put forth effort greater than or equal to their unionized counterparts for much lower pay? Why aren't you proposing that Washington draft legislation protecting workers here from competition from Mississippi by making it illegal for Washingtonians to buy goods produced there? Why stop there? the same holds true for most of the state, so per your logic we'd all be better off if we were forced to buy only goods and services produced within King county, or better yet - Seattle proper.

Once you buy a set of cabinets fabricated in Spanaway as opposed to Queen Anne it's a race to the bottom, baby....

I am not limiting my criticism to foreign unfair trade. I am also against poor remuneration of employees in the US. I believe that minimum wages, working time, time off, etc .. should be regulated, the same way that I am for cracking down on US employers who use illegal labor. We certainly would be much better off if we traded a lot more locally.

You realize, of course, that every time you purchase anything that's not manufactured, shipped, wholesaled, or retailed through any enterprise that has lower unit labor costs than it's competitors you are, in fact, guilty of hastening along the "race to the bottom" as you define it. There's no escape from this.

Are you seriously prepared to claim that you follow the sanction that you'd like to see the government impose on everyone else on everything you buy - from the box of cleanex to your car (BTW -GM, Ford, or Chrysler, I presume?)

Korea, Japan, etc - all mentioned as leading contestants in the "race to the bottom" on account of their formerly low wages - have manufacturing operations in the US.

so? if you want to make a point, you better explain it.

You realize, of course, that every time you purchase anything that's not manufactured, shipped, wholesaled, or retailed through any enterprise that has lower unit labor costs than it's competitors you are, in fact, guilty of hastening along the "race to the bottom" as you define it. There's no escape from this.

it's not all or nothing. We don't have to buy everything and send all of the jobs to places without social safety nets and no environmental constraints.

Aren't these problems inherent as one transitions from undeveloped to fully developed?

It's roughly similar to the S-shaped demographic transition that occurs as the rate of population increases rapidly then decreases as the standard of living rises.

So, you can't get there from here without some downside. Not saying it's right just acknowledging the reality.

(But, I am against deconstruction in many of its aspects although it might not be all bad.)

I'm not sure what this pic is, but this seemed like the best place to put it. Look at the deer on the couch??!!

DeerHealthcare.jpg

Here's what it says:

"People in Schuylkill County (where I grew up) have a warped sense of humor. It must be something in the coal-infused water. This is the pull off at SR 61 and Adamsdale Road. A deer was hit there. The couch was dumped there previously.

Day two: the deer was on the couch. Day three: the end table and lamp showed up. Day four: the TV and TV stand showed up. The Trooper had to call PENN DOT because of all the people stopping to take pictures.

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE SIGN.

The cardboard caption in front of the deer on the couch reads,

“Sorry Hunters.

Obama ruined healthcare.

We can’t afford to have injured hunters on our conscience,

so I’m staying home!

Sorry,

the Deer.”"

Are you seriously prepared to claim that you follow the sanction that you'd like to see the government impose on everyone else on everything you buy - from the box of cleanex to your car (BTW -GM, Ford, or Chrysler, I presume?)

Whether you like it or not the Chinese government imposes a 20% tariff on almost all American goods. Our government imposes no tariff on Chinese goods.

Is it too much to ask of our worthless corporate whore politicians to impose an equal tariff on Chinese goods?

Whether you like it or not the Chinese government imposes a 20% tariff on almost all American goods. Our government imposes no tariff on Chinese goods. Is it too much to ask of our worthless corporate whore politicians to impose an equal tariff on Chinese goods?

Please show proof of this or admit you're wrong.