Farming ice...

kevino

So I know this could be borderline illegal but just bare with me...

Say you have a medium volume water fall and only partially freezes about six feet wide...however next to this waterfall there is about 15 feet of vertical cliffband. What would be the best way to use some of that water to feed of the dry cliffband to make some more ice? Digging a ditch would be quite intrusive (plus its quite rocky)...what about using a garden hose or something like that? Anyone have experience or ideas? Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rain gutter material? gotta say I've only heard rumors of such projects, but there've been quite a few rumors over the years...

the best non-rumor I can provide is when my best friend from high school attended Montana State University in Bozeman back in the '70s, and got in trouble for creating a 10-story ice-wall on his dorm by running rubber tubing from the 10th floor bathroom faucet out a window when the temp stayed -30F for a week. He and some buddies then proceeded to top-rope the feature from the same window (with 90-cm ice-axes, no less!) I always wonder whether anyone would have noticed if they hadn't got caught CLIMBING on it...

Edited by montypiton

from what I've heard: use large diameter pipe as the small stuff freezes relatively quickly. once your pipe freezes, you have to find a way to drag it back to a warm place and thaw it. bummer.

would burying the pipe in snow insulate it enough so that is doesn't freeze?