stuck ice tool pick bolt question

genepires

My bolt that holds the pick in my charlet quasar seems to be really stuck. I was going to pull the pick off for airline travel and came close to rounding out the allen head bolt. Luckily, I haven't had to change out the pick yet but I suppose that someday I gotta take care of this problem. Any solutions other than drilling out the offending stuck bolt? A lubricant spray or wd40 bath? Angry words and threats? Smack the head with a hammer till she (the ice tool) submits?

thanks

gene

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

use a penetrating oil (like wd-40). Try to tightening it a bit before loosening it, if it moves, try to back it out. Tapping/hitting the head as you apply torque to the fastener will help a bit. If you round out the hex, get a good pair of vice grips and grip the outside of the fastener. You will cut big groves in the head but it is already rounded out and shot. And lastly, drill it out. if it is a blind hole, buy a left handed drill bit that is smaller then the minor dia of the fastener threads. If you are lucky, the left handed drill will back it out of the hole and your existing threads on the ice tool will be fine. This is easier said then done esp if you do not have a drill press or mill.

use a penetrating oil (like wd-40). Try to tightening it a bit before loosening it, if it moves, try to back it out. Tapping/hitting the head as you apply torque to the fastener will help a bit.

Very good advice. Be patient, and just soak the living shit outa it with WD.

And lastly, drill it out. if it is a blind hole, buy a left handed drill bit that is smaller then the minor dia of the fastener threads. If you are lucky, the left handed drill will back it out of the hole and your existing threads on the ice tool will be fine.

You may be forced to do this, but do it as a last resort. The bolt is probably Grade 8, or the metric equivalent, and is harder than hell. The last (two) things you want to do is break a drill, or break an easy out.

unfortunately, the bolt is flush with the head so I can't get a channellock on the outside.

I like the idea of a left handed drill bit. Where do you find those?

Gene, I dont know if your in Seattle, but if so you can find almost any tool you need at Hardwicks Hardware in the U district. They will have the drill bit.

WD40 might work, but Marvel Mystery Oil, if you can find it, has been known, on occasion, to free seized engines. Any "penetrating oil" is a reasonable bet if you can soak the fitting in it for a few hours. Oiling the next bolt you use, before installing it, should prevent a recurrance, as will products like locktite

Edited by montypiton