Training wall vert

mike1

I’d like to put up a small climbing wall in the garage this winter - something simple but effective. A couple 4' x 8's prolly. Based on experience, what is the best vertical angle for well rounded training and why (no hinged ideas please)?

Gratias

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d like to put up a small climbing wall in the garage this winter - something simple but effective. A couple 4' x 8's prolly. Based on experience, what is the best vertical angle for well rounded training and why (no hinged ideas please)?

Gratias

why no hinged ideas? it's easy to incorporate adjustability into a home wall....

but if you must fix, i would make it at least 30 degrees, and no more than 60 degrees. for me it would be 60, but if you're more into alpine and trad, maybe closer to 30. this would at least theoretically force better technique while still working core strength, whereas the steeper you go, more core but less on-your-feet technique.

For a good work out I have a 38 degree wall with a exit wall to the right,I also drill real rock, some from different climbing areas for holds to save money, it also makes your hands tough, change creek x38 has the best, if you go steep go big jugs, with an 8 foot ceiling I would suggest 12 foot long 35 to 45 degree roof like wall with a exit to the right or left similar to Eric Horst HIT sysstem (Hypergravity isolation Training) ...cheap intense training

The reason I want to stay away from hinged is because this first section will be the foundation for future additions. I have an 8 foot wide section of wall with another 4 right hand corner available. All is 10 feet to the open rafters above so I could go higher between rafters if I wanted to build an overhung cave (24" centers - any ideas there?). I have been looking at developing the whole thing at once but in an effort to reduce cost I now plan to break it into sections. I could do a 12' - 35 to 45 degree section on the 4 foot right corner, then build a transition to the other side of the corner next... Hmmmm... not bad. I have a pile of basalt that I hand picked for drilling years ago. Always liked the idea of using rock.

Thanks!