[TR] Smiffistani Rawks - PickMyNoseFirLunchWall 11/14/2009

ivan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it will close this year the current ranger who closed it, finished his stint about two weeks ago.

Now to add to the climbing content of the site, heres a story from the FA of the orginal Picnic Lunch Wall route. It took place at the same belay where you almost got the chop. Anyways so it was Tom Bauman and Kim Schmitz. They climbed the original start to the route and set up a hammock bivy. It was cold, I'm pretty sure it was November. So Kim wound up dropping his sleeping bag. Bob, Tom's brother was accross the river, prior to the bridge. Kim kept yelling to Bob to come get his sleeping bag and tie it on to the ropes, only to recive a solid fuck you guys! So as the night progressed Kim continued to whine and Tom couldnt get to sleep. Finnaly Tom couldnt take it any more and gave Kim his half bag and toughed it out like only an Oregon hardman could. Anyways they topped out the next day avoiding the direct finish because Kim was so desprate to get off. They both went on to be major hardmen.

I doubt it will close this year the current ranger who closed it, finished his stint about two weeks ago.

Now to add to the climbing content of the site, heres a story from the FA of the orginal Picnic Lunch Wall route. It took place at the same belay where you almost got the chop. Anyways so it was Tom Bauman and Kim Schmitz. They climbed the original start to the route and set up a hammock bivy. It was cold, I'm pretty sure it was November. So Kim wound up dropping his sleeping bag. Bob, Tom's brother was accross the river, prior to the bridge. Kim kept yelling to Bob to come get his sleeping bag and tie it on to the ropes, only to recive a solid fuck you guys! So as the night progressed Kim continued to whine and Tom couldnt get to sleep. Finnaly Tom couldnt take it any more and gave Kim his half bag and toughed it out like only an Oregon hardman could. Anyways they topped out the next day avoiding the direct finish because Kim was so desprate to get off. They both went on to be major hardmen.

funny story :laf:

they didn't feel like making the jug of death?!? can't imagine why :)

speaking of the original start, does it have a couple of newish looking bolts on it? was trying to locate it that weekend and wasn't certain - looks like 2 odd pin scars taht still would take big ass angles leading to a long stretch of sketchy gear - there was even some chalk on the lower part, but didn't reach the obvious anchor, way the fuck up there.

ya mike stoger freed the first 40ft or something to the 2nd or 3rd bolt. i heard bob mcgown freed the whole first pitch but i think it might have been on top rope. the second pitch traverse is pretty sketchy. i guess so is pitch one you could probably hit the ground from 1 or two spots. i heard it went clean but ive had to place a beak and a LA.