Which is better? Camelbak or MSR hydromedary?

chrisj

I have been using platypus bladders but the newer versions have not been working out in colder weather. If the temperature is only slightly below freezing, ice crystals form in the seams leaking to pinprick leaks.

So after years of using platypus bladders, I've decided it's time to change brands. Which works better or is more durable? The Camelbak or the MSR hydromedary?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think MSR mouth valves are much much better than platypus valves.

Freezing temperature of water is probably something that can't be changed.

Never liked these things much, and only time I used them, may have been drinking myself sick.

A wise athelete can probably compensate and... use them wisely. I am stupid and not athelete.

I originally made my decision based on volume. MSR makes a bladder that holds a full gallon. I've used it for going on ten years, and have never questioned my choice. I don't have to fill it all the way, but its nice to have the option. I've gone through several hoses and bite-valves on mine, and the different brands of valves seem to be pretty much interchangeable, so I wouldn't make that a determining factor. When replacing the hose, I just use food-grade tubing from the plumbing department of my local hardware store. Oh - and I've frozen that bladder solid a few times... seems to have survived just fine.

I use the MSR dromedary. A couple of advantages:

1) Some Platypus and Camelback bladders have a "ziplock" seal on the top which has more than once leaked or totally opened during use. Dromedarys are available as a screw cap which prevents this problem.

2) The dromedary is made of a nice thick material that fairly durable. I have used mine for 2 seasons now, and it shows no signs of wear (prior to this, I went through a platypus and a camelback in the same time span)

I normally will take a 2L and a 3L on a bigger trip. This allows you to take water out on route while you are treating something back in camp (the hydration hoses are easily exchanged).

As others have mentioned, the bite valves are fairly interchangeable.

I agree with others, nothing really works great in cold weather except blowing the tube clear, keeping it inside your jacket, or adding a heat pack to keep the valve flowing.

I have Platypus hoser, Camelback, and Dromedary. I prefer the Camelback in the winter with insulated hose...haven't had any leaks yet. Platypus is summer use and works great...only complaint is sometimes the bite valve has popped off and given me an unplanned shower (until I taped it to prevent a repeat). Dromedary bag I use for hauling water in bulk for camp or training. If it is really cold I bring a thermos and use my water bottles with the insulated cover...nice to have warm fluid on a nippy day.

You should check out the line of BCA Stash packs from BCA with their Nalgene compatible hydration system- won't pop, leak, and the insulated shoulder sleeve works like a charm. The best part is that the bite valve twists to lock and I have never had it leak (locked or unlocked). I can't say that about any other hydration system. I super-sized my Nalgene to carry more H20 and with a .25 liter thermos of tea, I'm all set for a day our touring.

I have used my MSR Dromedary bladder for about 8 years now. It's a little gross on the inside, since I never really clean it. I have never had a leak. But, I have gone through a few hoses and bite valves. Like Montypiton I just use the hardware store tubing for my set up. I also cover the hose with some stick on foam insulation (I don't know what it's called at the hardware store, but in my trade we call it foam tape) I have had good luck with a Nalgene bite valve. But my pack also has a special pocket to store it away in when not in use, so that keeps it from freezing.

If I where to buy another bladder, it would be another MSR.

Like Frikadeller,

I have owned and used the same old black 2 liter MSR Dromedary bag for over 10+ years and it still holds without a leak.

The waterproofing on the fabric is immaculate.

I have gone thru several bite valves/tubing but otherwise its a bombproof set up in my opinion.