Substituting glacier glasses

Sheep

Ive been shopping around a bit for some sunglasses which would be appropriate at high altitudes... from what i understand the main specs to look for are UV A/B/C protection, and visible light reduction

i was put off a little bit when i found i could get safety glasses with polycarbonate lenses (shatter resistant) for less than $10 that have similar specs to glacier glasses

http://www.pyramexsafety.com/products/eyewear/sb1860sf

these have 89% vis. light reduction and have 99% UV protection, am i really missing out on anything by buying these instead of mountaineering sunglasses?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or these for extra fun at night:

http://www.pyramexsafety.com/products/eyewear/sb450sf

Home » Products » Integra » Eyewear

[links don't seem to work exactly]

anyone here have any expertise with this to chime in? As well, Sheep, do you have a link/recommendation on where these glasses can be purchased for (~$10?). I thought i recalled reading something here a year or more ago about if glasses block too much visible light the pupil dilates much more of course to compensate, and this was argued to somehow be worse because the more of the 1% of UV A/B that did come in was hitting the retina.

might be a hogwash theory but i swear I read someone going on at length about it in the past few years-it sounded like a point to at least argue about even if its not true.

water- a quick google search of the model brought up a bunch of places to buy from, heres the first link

http://www.opticsplanet.net/pyramex-venture-ii-safety-glasses-3-0-ir-filter-lens-black-frame-sb1860sf.html

i would believe that is correct, i think something with a lower % blocked would be more suitable for 10-14k feet, i would be taking these prospective glasses to 22k feet

i climbed denali in 15$ generic ass polarized sunglasses - you just gotta make certain they wrap around and don't leak light (especially from below) - paying more than 30$ for a pair of sunglasses is strait up stupid, unless you're looking to be a conspicious consumer

I'm guessing you will be okay with the less expensive safety glasses. I wear prescription specs, and for the past thirty or so years, have always bought lenses that darken in bright light (used to call these "photogray" lenses, but I think that label is ancient history now). I've summited Denali, Aconcagua, and Orizaba with nothing more than these everyday glasses (they get virtually black above about 15k') and I prevent light-and-wind leakage at the temples with blinders made from strips of first-aid tape or duct tape. My sixteen year old son has been ice-climbing with me in the Cascades and Canadian Rockies since he was twelve, happily using hardware-store safety glasses with, so far as we know, no ill effects.