belay Jacket

mzvarner

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to use it for climbing....it needs to do a couple of things down really can't.

If you are climbing hard or out in nasty weather you'll get wet from sweat or environmental perciptation. When you need the jacket you want it to warm you as well as help dry out your climbing outfit. Best bet to accomplish that is a synthetic. For anything in the Cascades in winter and most everything in Canada you don't need a very heavy jacket. Patagonia Micro Hoody or the MTN Hardware Compressor hoody are lwts and both work well.

Patagonia also offers the DAS or the RAB jacket which are both a step up but really popular as well.

My belay jacket goes on and comes off many times during a day of alpine climbing and is usually soaked through by day's end. A synthetic will keep on working and dry out if I am wearing it. A down jacket would be useless in similar conditions. Rapping off things like Upper Weeping Wall, Polar Circus or walking down from Libery Cap would be a lot less enjoyable because of it.

In the "rainy" PNW down is not the way to go...you're wet and then really cold. Synthetic is the best. I use the Mtn Hardwear Chugach powder pant and the Mtn Hardwear Belay parka (now made this parka way) Synthetic retains a lot more warmth even after it gets wet....I've sat out a lot with this gear and only my base layer and shells on under...keeping perfectly warm.

thats funny you mention the DAS its what i have now, the only bummer is that it does not pack down

Same reason I went to the MTN Hardware Compressor jacket. Sold everything else I owned. Never liked the DAS but lots here do. Used the Compressor Hoody all last winter and loved it. Mtn Gear had a bunch of them last winter. Worth checking them out.

More here:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/914251/Re_Synthetic_Insulation_Jacket#Post914251

how well does it hold up on the windy summit of rainer. i see that as being the gnarliest thing i do for a while, before stepping up to canada or alaska.

Mtn Hardware Compressor? It would work well on Rainier in winter. I use the Compressor all winter in Canada. I like a little more insulation (DAS or NF) for Alaska simply because you know you'll be out longer and it can get a lot colder up high. I don't normally use a belay jacket in summer even on things like Rainier.

There are so many good synthetic belay style jackets out. Patagonia's offerings, Wild Things, some of the older North Face gear, Mtn HW, Arcteryx, to name just a few. I've owned many of them. Best thing to do is try a bunch of them on. What I found important was fit. How they hang around the harness and how they fit with arms extended while climbing were important to me. A belay jacket that isn't comfortable and easy to climb in is a jacket you'll be taking off more often than not. Or worse yet not putting yours on early enough.

I climbed a lot in a Compressor Hoody and a Patagonia Puff Hoody last couple of winters. More than I ever have in a belay jacket. Best part of that experience was with the Compressor Hoody I was seldom reminded I was climbing in a belay jacket.

Great picture from Collin's web site.

http://colinhaley.blogspot.com/2009_05_01_archive.html

Down Norrona and a DAS on the summit of Hunter.

33.JPG

John's photo of one of our local heros last Nov in a DAS :)

dave3.JPG

• 1 month later...