Good stuff in Okanogan County

JoshK

june15noaasatimage.gif

For the past several days, sat photos have looked like this. Notice the cloud breakup roughly along the Whatcom/Okanogan county line. I have never climbed/hiked/skied in Oakanogan county at all. Can anybody recommend a good place to start? Honestly I don't care if it's skiing or just hiking and scrambling - I really just NEED some sunshine + mountains.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Castle Peak is on the Okanogan/Whatcom county line. If you climb the Kearney route, it's on the left side of the North Face, so maybe it will be dry even if the other North Face routes are in rain.

Other ideas - Tower Mountain / Golden Horn / Silver Star

cathedral provincial park in B.C. is in that shadow too i think, and you'd dig it josh! a lot of open country wilderness and some really funky, craggy, sweet mountains that hide in the glacier-scoured landscape - i know you'd shit yourself for the standard route on cathedral - veeery cool and w/n your comfort zone.

OK so I found Cathedral on the topo map. It looks like there are trails coming in from the south (U.S. trailheads). Are the better approaches coming in from the Canadian side? All of that high open terrain at 7,000+ looks like it would be truely badass. There is also a pass to the SW named "Crazy Man Pass". It seems fitting I visit that sometime in my life.

pat and i came in from b.c. a couple years ago - he has a tr for it in his collection here - the us side is a gaint mule trail in summer, but maybe is still a lot of snow now? either way, it's a full approach day to get back in there - the bivy at the lake by cathedral is astro-fucking-cool :)

You can approach Cathedral Peak from the Chewuch river as well. It's a lot shorter drive than from the tonasket side. (It's about 30 - 45min north of Winthrop.) We did it last year via andrews creek about this time, and saw very little snow, and few people. One of my favorite trips. Ever.

I just went in the Chewuch from 30 mile TH to the Mt. Remmel area. First 5-6 miles have a lot of blow down from the fires- no show stoppers, just takes a little time. Once you are past Basin Creek (about 6 miles) you are more or less home free. FWIW the Forrest Service is starting to clear the trail this week.

You will want sandals for the 3-4 fords you will have to do.