F-ing bored of working out

Since becoming a dad, I don't get out as often as I used to. Now I find out I have to plan for fun! Then my fun turns into sucking wind cuz I am so out of shape. To top it all off, I can't stand regular "work outs".

So, I am trying to mix it up with stuff that doesn't involve paying for a gym membership and I don't have to do the same shit over and over.

Anyone have good ideas about short workouts within Seattle that would add to the following ideas?

1. Stair climb

2. Jog around the neighborhood

3. Bike to work

4. Hang board workout

5. Core exercises

6. Open water swim

7. ?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For these all you need equipment wise is a stopwatch. A “Gymboss” interval timer makes Tabata workouts much easier (and they’re cheap!) but a watchful eye and/or a partner will do. And with that said a jump rope and/or a pair of rings weigh will add a lot of variety.

“Box” jumps can easily be added to most of these if you a find a solid object to jump/step on to: park bench, step of stairs, etc etc

Google any of the movements you are unfamiliar with to see how to do them.

Body weight movements (small space/no equipment. Might need a stopwatch):

Leg Blaster (1 round = 20 squats, 10 lunges per leg, 10 jumping lunges per leg, 10 jumping squats). Max rounds in ? minutes

10 push-ups 10 sit ups 10 squats - 10 rounds for time.

200 air squats for time.

Tabata squats and tabata pushups (Tabata = 20 sec of work/10 seconds of rest/6 – 8 times)

Tabata ___pick one or two: pushups, pullups, squats, lunges, burpees, tuck jumps___

5 push ups 5 squats 5 sit ups, 20 rounds for time.

21-15-9 of air squats and push ups for time.

3 vertical jumps 3 squats 3 long jumps - 5 rounds for time.

Handstand 30 seconds and 10 squats, 8 rounds for time.

10 vertical jumps 10 push ups 10 sit ups 4 rounds for time.

100 burpees for time.

20 burpees walk 5 meters 19 burpees walk back 5 meters 18 burpees, etc etc until done. Enjoy.

Max burpees in x minutes

4x 25 jumping squats

10 push-ups 10 squats 10 sit ups 10 rounds for time

100 push ups for time.

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Burpees and Sit ups.

10 walking lunges 10 push-ups 10 rounds for time.

50 split jumps for time.

“L” sit off the floor. 10 rounds of 10 seconds. If you can’t do it sit with your legs straight out and try to lift your heels of the ground for 10 seconds instead.

7 squats 7 burpees seven rounds for time.

250 jumping jacks for time.

100 jumping jacks 75 air squats 50 push ups 25 burpees for time.

20 jumping jacks 20 burpees 20 air squats 3 rounds for time

Max 1 set of push ups…tight body chest to the floor…full extension! Set is over once you break position. If you cannot do “men’s style” do your pushups from the knees. After that do 100 air squats for time.

Running + Body weight movements (nice weather and/or a track. Might need a stopwatch):

Run 1/2 mile 50 air squats - 3 rounds for time.

Run 1 mile for time.

Run 1 mile for time but lunge 30 steps every 1 minute on the minute.

Run 1 mile for time but 10 air squats every 1 minute on the minute.

Run 200m 10 squats 10 push ups 5 rounds for time.

Sprint 200m and do 25 push ups. 3 rounds for time.

10 Handstand push ups and a 200m run 3 rounds for time.

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 sets of sit-ups and a 100 meter sprint between each set. For time.

10 push-ups 100M dash 10 rounds for time.

5x 400M sprints. Each one for time. Rest exactly 2x as long as it took you to run the prior 400M

10 X 100 m sprints. Each one for time.

10 vertical jumps run 400 meters 5 rounds for time

Sprint 100 meters walk 100 meters 10 rounds for time

50 sit-ups 400 meter run or sprint or walk 3 rounds for time.

10 burpees 100 meter sprint 10 rounds for time.

Run 1 mile with 100 air squats at midpoint, for time.

Bet he does, which is why his muscles ripple and stuff.....

Shaolung, probably the best thing you can do is find a regular workout partner to help motivate you. In the end - being a good father is more important than being a good climber though. Fitting in a workout that you enjoy is something you can look at and squeeze into your fatherhood schedule.

Good luck.

John - thanks for the regime. I will try to get some of that in there... I was thinking of something a little more loosey goosey... one liners if you like. Obviously this is why I don't have a 6-pack and I'm not climbing 5.13. :(

billcoe - no doubt! My usual partner in crime at the crags lives way north and I live a block short of burien in White Center. The folks I know near home are great for beers, but not so much for stairs etc.

Anyone in White Center interested in Stair-climbing Tuesdays?

That is from my "vacation workouts" file so I dont do workouts on that specific list that often... usually only when I'm traveling for work or something. If you are amazingly bored and/or curious Joe I keep a training journal that goes back ~2 years that is linked off my blog that covers what I do for training every day.

And in case it wasnt apparent each one of those is meant to be one workout session. Doing the entire list would be "interesting"

And if you are looking for some generic "one liners" as you call them I would recommend looking for sure that is quadrupedal based (rowing, swimming, air dyne, burpees to name a few) as quadrupedal activities have ~2x the amount of oxygen demand as bipedal based activities (running, walking, cycling) so you will get much more "value" out of your session :)

And training partners are key key key for motivation

• 2 weeks later...
Since becoming a dad, I don't get out as often as I used to. Now I find out I have to plan for fun! Then my fun turns into sucking wind cuz I am so out of shape. To top it all off, I can't stand regular "work outs".

So, I am trying to mix it up with stuff that doesn't involve paying for a gym membership and I don't have to do the same shit over and over.

Anyone have good ideas about short workouts within Seattle that would add to the following ideas?

1. Stair climb

2. Jog around the neighborhood

3. Bike to work

4. Hang board workout

5. Core exercises

6. Open water swim

7. Masterbate regularly

Besides that stuff, go get yourself a 50 pound sandbag and carry it up stairs. Wheel-barrows full of heavy shit can give you an absolutely STELLAR core workout too. Go to the track and do explosive sprints. Carry you KIDS on your back around Greenlake. Take shovel into the backyard, and freaking dig a huge and deep hole, fill it back up, and then dig it again. Seriously, digging is an AMAZING workout. Then get yourself a heart rate monitor and make sure you work out in the right zones.

Its really not that hard to get a killer and fun workout.

I have 3 kids, work full time and pull call for emergencies...so I feel your pain. Finding time and balancing responsibilities is a challenge. That suck wind feeling is enough to motivate me alone. I go up Mt. Si with incrementally heavy packs after work when trying to get in shape for Spring/Summer/Fall climbing in addition to the gym workouts. An MP3 player helps a lot. I'm also close to a climbing rock which I can boulder on to get some contact strength in my hands and work on balance. You just have to be creative. There are hikes and climbing rocks (UW, Marymoor, etc) close by. Good luck!

#7 isn't the problem... wheel-barrows and sand bags sound great... albeit meat-headish. That balance between meat-head and meaningful workout is a tough one. I need to get over that.

Stairs are working out great. As for the heart-rate monitor, what are "The right zones"?

• 2 weeks later...
#7 isn't the problem... wheel-barrows and sand bags sound great... albeit meat-headish. That balance between meat-head and meaningful workout is a tough one. I need to get over that.

Stairs are working out great. As for the heart-rate monitor, what are "The right zones"?

Its hard to say what zones are "right" unless you've gone through some exercise testing to see where your fitness levels are. As a rule of thumb, if you are tired and exhausted from other stresses in life, you should work out at lower intensities and for shorter durations. However, if you wake up feeling like a young lion, the so called "meat head" workouts are EXTREMELY effective. Functional strength and power training is absolutely amazing.... Only a "girly man" would forgo a sick ass exercise program....

Actually, dude, pushing a wheel barrow with sandbags for 30 min. is NOT a meat head workout!! Hanging out in the weight room for 4 hours on a perfectly gorgeous summer afternoon is however....

Arnold-posing.jpg