Camp Muir - Theft Safety??

mountainboy11

Howdy,

What's the reputation at Camp Muir like regarding theft? I would like to skin up, leave skis in camp for summit bid, then ski down. So will my skis still be there? Any recommendations, such as luggage locks on tent or something, for securing gear if theft is a problem?

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope that thieves are too lazy to hike up that far. I would hope that anyone able to get up to muir has good ethics. I think your skiis are fine if left at the hut. Maybe not if it was somewhere on a slope or hanging from bolts in exit 32.

Worst thief I have ever encountered was at Camp Muir. Caught the motherfucker rifling through my pack taking what he damn well knew was mine. He took it only because he was lazy and could not be bothered to bring his own. The SOB smiled and walked off as he knew that I would not come after him. A few minutes later he returned. All I could do was rope up and hope that my bowels would hold fast as all he left was a few squares.

Haven't heard of much theft at Muir, just stash gear like you're coming back for it. If it looks like it was forgotten I can see someone in a big group grab something that looks like someone in the group forgot something and unintentionally taking it.

On a minor note: One of my customers had his ski poles taken last weekend from the public shelter at Muir. Overall things seem very, very safe, but on occasion things go missing. I would just cache your gear and trust folks.

-John

A couple years ago I heard a guy had his boots stolen while he was sleeping. I guess the thief at least left his old crap boots for the guy to wear down.

Had a damn raven steal a whole bag of freshly cooked mountainhouse chilimac from me... the 2 severing size... I couldn't believe he could get in the air with that load of food, but he did. Another raven took my pop tarts the same trip.

Edited by Vickster