Hood SS this weekend. Is OK?

Brewer

Frik, lets chat about it. My only open weekend is next week though, But I am thinking about going up doing a mid week climb (before June), it would be a tuesday night/wed morning type of thing.

Mid week stuff sux for me. I have to pay the mortgage somehow. Shit, next weekend also looks like a shitty weather deal. Damn you PNW jet steam and ever changing weather.

There has to be a way for like minded folks to hook up to enjoy the Mtn. :lmao:

Edited by Frikadeller

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we wound up driving down to Timberline (4.5 hours) and got there around 5 or so. Anything above the lifts was socked in. Wind was BLOWING (gusts around 30-40?). Packed up and snoozed until 12am, when the wind was still humming and rain started to fall. We slept another hour hoping for a change, at which point the rain was coming down much harder, and knowing the summit was likely off the table we decided to bag it since I didn't want to go play in the dark and windy rain/snow for not much gain.

Slept till 5 and woke up to about 3/4 inch fresh snow (blowing in horizontally) and bugged out of there.

Wasted gasoline, but Olive Garden in Gresham was yummy!

i know where the queens chair is theoritically located, but i've never understood the appelation - what exactly looks like a chair there? :crazy:

I've wondered the same thing and finally decided that it looks like an adirondack chair with a queen reclining comfortably with herself completely splayed out for the city of Portland. :shock:

Great photo BTW Bill. I can't wait to see the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Bummer about the wasted trip, Brewer. I guess the last-minute change in the forecast turned out pretty accurate, which is unfortunate. Sounds like you made the right call with a parking-lot high point.

I ended up going to MRNP and climbed Unicorn Peak with some buds Saturday afternoon. Weather was mild and drizzly most of Saturday with snow and moderate wind for the summit pitch. Felt alpine-y. Saturday night weather was crap and we spent the evening drinking mountain margaritas in a snow/tarp shelter while the rain/sleet fell. Sunday morning was beautiful for the hike out.