Force

akhalteke

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."--Albert Einstein

Wrong as teletubbies kiddo. There will always be bad people in this world which want to do bad things. Sometimes the only way to prevent those things from happening is from fighting fire with fire.

I am sure that Albert's war time activities suggest that he understood this more than this isolated quote would suggest.

Well if you invoke altruistic behavior then you're inferring a conscious intent which I don't believe is present.

Mutualism is inadvertent.

So are you saying that angiosperms and bees evolved simultaneously?

Yep. Flowers smell and appear more attractive to get pollinators. They give the bees nectar.

The bees adapt to see flowers better, e.g., in uv, carry pollen better, become social, etc

Well if you invoke altruistic behavior then you're inferring a conscious intent which I don't believe is present.

Yep. Flowers smell and appear more attractive to get pollinators. They give the bees nectar.

The bees adapt to see flowers better, e.g., in uv, carry pollen better, become social, etc

...and goats eat flowers. Thank God for mountain lions.

Gary, I don't really have any problem with what you're saying but aren't you making an 'a priori' assumption. I mean, you do have a Ph.d., right?

Isn't this the point that Stephen Jay Gould had tried to express, not by casting doubt upon evolution, but rather to clarify it? For instance, take this example: The Jesus Christ hypothesis for the evolution of flight

"You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."--Albert Einstein

Wrong as teletubbies kiddo. There will always be bad people in this world which want to do bad things. Sometimes the only way to prevent those things from happening is from fighting fire with fire.

I am sure that Albert's war time activities suggest that he understood this more than this isolated quote would suggest.

A minor omission: Einstein spent the rest of his life publicly regretting his contribution to the creation of the atomic bomb.

Gary, I don't really have any problem with what you're saying but aren't you making an 'a priori' assumption. I mean, you do have a Ph.d., right?

Isn't this the point that Stephen Jay Gould had tried to express, not by casting doubt upon evolution, but rather to clarify it? For instance, take this example: The Jesus Christ hypothesis for the evolution of flight

There's a fine rhetorical line here, but I'm going to have to go with what I think STP (and Gould) say. Flowers don't smell good for the purpose of attracting bees. Flowers that smell good attract bees, so they survive better than those that don't. Mutations and recombinations either help or hurt chances of survival inadvertantly. They have no pre-determined 'purpose'.

There's a fine rhetorical line here, but I'm going to have to go with what I think STP (and Gould) say. Flowers don't smell good for the purpose of attracting bees. Flowers that smell good attract bees, so they survive better than those that don't. Mutations and recombinations either help or hurt chances of survival inadvertantly. They have no pre-determined 'purpose'.

Yep I agree w/ you two, just kept it relatively short and concise (and unfortunately misleading/ambiguous) because I was spraying on my iPhone while on the bus.

I have no sadness for the militants who bomb innocent civilians or civilians who hide such murderors.

The largest militant to bomb in one event is the United States.

Hiroshima then Nagasaki

Apples and Oranges homes. One bomb was delivered to end a war*. The others were sent to start/continue a war.

*Not saying this is the only reason.

My prayers go out to the innocent civilians that are caught in the crossfire.

Too often it seems it's not so much a case of being caught in the crossfire as it is of being the "wrong" race, religion, nationality, or simply being unable to use any effective force in return..

case in point:

UN official says Gaza school was clearly marked "UNRWA regularly provided the Israeli army with exact geographical coordinates of its facilities.."

1) No I am not.

2) No

3) No he didn't. He said "Hiroshima then Nagasaki."

Then you believe the Japanese war could not have been stopped by US forces over time.

Your original statement said, "The use of force is one of a final means to carry out one's will once all other means have been exhaustivly and futively tried." Military historians believed the Japanese war could have been won by US forces, but over time, and yes, many, many lives lost--but yet they would be mainly military forces and NOT innocent civilians. The ending of the Japanese war was quickened by the use of Hiroshima and then Nagasaki. Many claim it was to save lives. A tradeoff for Hiroshima...how many military lives would have been lost versus innocent civilians lives lost. This means the United States did NOT "exhaustivly and futively" try to end the war militarily.

Hiroshima AND Nagasaki both would be in your prayers.

There's a lot of historical evidence (do your own research; most of the stuff's in print and not on the internutz) that Japan was on the verge of capitulation when The Bomb was dropped, and probably would have surrendered very soon had it not been.

There is also much evidence that the U.S. wanted to see what happened to an undamaged city when hit with a nuke. They chose Hiroshima specifically because it had not been significantly damaged previously. It was 'fresh'. There was a strong sentiment within the program to use the bomb against a city, and not much to the contrary.

Finally, it was suggested within the bomb program that high level Japanese officials be invited to witness a bomb test instead of killing 200,000 civilians (a staggering number that nearly eclipses the number of U.S. casualties during the entire war in both theatres); that potentially life saving suggestion went no where.

Dropping such weapons on civilian cities was as inexusable then as it would be now.

1) No I am not.

2) No

3) No he didn't. He said "Hiroshima then Nagasaki."

Then you believe the Japanese war could not have been stopped by US forces over time.

Your original statement said, "The use of force is one of a final means to carry out one's will once all other means have been exhaustivly and futively tried." Military historians believed the Japanese war could have been won by US forces, but over time, and yes, many, many lives lost--but yet they would be mainly military forces and NOT innocent civilians. The ending of the Japanese war was quickened by the use of Hiroshima and then Nagasaki. Many claim it was to save lives. A tradeoff for Hiroshima...how many military lives would have been lost versus innocent civilians lives lost. This means the United States did NOT "exhaustivly and futively" try to end the war militarily.

Hiroshima AND Nagasaki both would be in your prayers.

Read a book. It could have, but after much more ground fighting and to most estimates, another year of fighting.

There's a lot of historical evidence (do your own research; most of the stuff's in print and not on the internutz) that Japan was on the verge of capitulation when The Bomb was dropped, and probably would have surrendered very soon had it not been.

There is also much evidence that the U.S. wanted to see what happened to an undamaged city when hit with a nuke. They chose Hiroshima specifically because it had not been significantly damaged previously. It was 'fresh'. There was a strong sentiment within the program to use the bomb against a city, and not much to the contrary.

1) Hind sight is 20/20

2) This makes little sense.