Time for Seattle Cyclists to Pay up?

Fairweather

You guys are idiots. If you bothered to read my two initial posts on the subject, you would understand that I'm really not for this tax. But I do think the indignation about this proposal from the same knee-jerk libs here who regularly argue more taxation for the common good is pretty funny. What a bunch of freeloaders. :rolleyes: Espacially TTK--who doesn't even have a job, for God's sake!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reality, bike commuters reduce pollution, traffic congestion, land wasted on parking spaces, and energy consumption, all of which benefit the entire population.

FW's viewpoint on any issue can be summed up in three simple words:

ME ME ME.

Yes, as in "me work, you don't".

Me smart and independently self supporting. You not.

In reality, bike commuters reduce pollution, traffic congestion, land wasted on parking spaces, and energy consumption, all of which benefit the entire population.

FW's viewpoint on any issue can be summed up in three simple words:

ME ME ME.

Yes, as in "me work, you don't".

Me smart and independently self supporting. You not.

You're an idiot.

Get a job.

Stop the charade.

Dumbass.

You guys are idiots...

I think you should start all your posts this way, a running gag like back when SNL's weekend update had Chevy Chase and Jane Curtin as anchors. Jane would talk, and then when it was Chevy's turn, he'd always start with, "Jane, you ignorant slut..."

Wasn't that Dan Akroyd?

I'm a regular bike commuter.

I'm pro bike fees. I don't know how to do it, but I'm into users contributing to infrastructure.

I always imagine the tax would bikes more into the process.

I also forget how lazy most americans urbanites are. MOst people would probably just get rid of their bikes. :rolleyes:

UM, you don't get people to do more of something by charging them more. As for urbanites being lazy, I challenge you to find more out of shape people than in rural America. Woah, Nelly. Guess which community's inhabitants walk more miles per year than any other? That's right, you didn't guess it: New Yorkers.

after i left nyc to come out to pdx, i'd visit periodically on business with colleagues. they all complained about how i wanted to 'walk everywhere' and that i walked too fast. they didn't get that it is quicker and a lot less bother, and they were accustomed to sitting on their backside.

You guys are idiots. If you bothered to read my two initial posts on the subject, you would understand that I'm really not for this tax. But I do think the indignation about this proposal from the same knee-jerk libs here who regularly argue more taxation for the common good is pretty funny. What a bunch of freeloaders. :rolleyes: Espacially TTK--who doesn't even have a job, for God's sake!

who is indignant? :cool:

My 70 year old aunt in the Bronx used to walk 20 blocks each way to work and thought nothing of it. She was surprised that we thought it unusual.

i didn't even own a car, and many people (including perhaps your aunt) didn't ever bother with licenses. i'm from the west coast, and to encounter someone my age (20-something at the time) who didn't have a license and had never driven a car, was quite strange indeed.

where does she live, btw? I used to commute through the south Bronx, up through Belmont. the Bronx contains some of both the worst and the best of new york. it was truly grand, in its day.

One visit to a European city that has proper, separate bike paths (not painted death & detritus afterthought zones on busy streets) makes this entire argument ridiculous. The traveling experience in those cities is SO much more pleasant...even if you're driving. The first thing you notice is all the old folks on bikes. Then all the young kids. It's wonderful.

But hey, screw those little brats. Let'em tussle with the SUVs, eh FW?

One visit to a European city that has proper, separate bike paths (not painted death & detritus afterthought zones on busy streets) makes this entire argument ridiculous. The traveling experience in those cities is SO much more pleasant...even if you're driving. The first thing you notice is all the old folks on bikes. Then all the young kids. It's wonderful.

But hey, screw those little brats. Let'em tussle with the SUVs, eh FW?

Nice try, but you're anti-bike, given the 'wealth' of past posts you've gifted us on the subject, and everyone here knows it by now. Kind of like your little racism issue. Protest all you want, as you often do a bit too loudly, but your posts speak louder than your follow on denials.

You don't represent any semblance of a 'majority' in this country. The 'majority' in the country, particularly give the results of the last election, reject racism of any kind, for example.

Yes, about half an hour after my post. Obviously, CC is not the only resource for finding useful code.

You're probably not aware of, never having held a creative job, the common methodology of casting a wide net to catch bits of existing code so as not to re-invent the wheel.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

No, you're the idiot. You said:

Normally I don't like new taxes, but this seems like the perfect opportunity for those who ride to share the burden.

That sounds like support to me.

Furthermore, you later noted that drivers pay for bike lanes but did not mention that bicyclists pay for roads.

The topic of licensing/taxing cyclists goes up there with restricting/licensing climbing.

Furthermore, you later noted that drivers pay for bike lanes but did not mention that bicyclists pay for roads.

Oh really? You must mean cyclists who also drive or pay taxes for roads in some other manner--but, of course, bicyclists themselves do not pay for roads via their activity. It's surprising you're so unwilling to step up and contribute even while you support fees and taxes for others via the RTA, viaduct replacement, and the 520 bridge.

Taxes for local roads = sales taxes, business taxes, property taxes

Gasoline taxes, car tabs, etc., do NOT pay for anything more than a mere fraction of local roads.

Highways are funded largely from gasoline taxes, but some amount of my sales taxes goes to highways.

A cyclist who does not drive subsidizes cars.

Taxes for local roads = sales taxes, business taxes, property taxes

Gasoline taxes, car tabs, etc., do NOT pay for anything more than a mere fraction of local roads.

Highways are funded largely from gasoline taxes, but some amount of my sales taxes goes to highways.

A cyclist who does not drive subsidizes cars.

A cyclist who does not also drive a car likely pays no property or business taxes either. He or she is also, possibly, a heavily taxpayer-subsidized student. Ok, he likely pays sales tax on that Big Gulp that he buys down the street from campus. A pittance, really. His parasitic social standing remains.