Carbon Fiber Durablity

AlpineMonkey

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this might be obvious...

"carbon fiber" ice tools are actually a composite of carbon fiber and some plastic (typically epoxy). Was the chip just in the epoxy, or was there fiber damage? Either way, I wouldnt worry too much. If fibers are exposed, you might consider coating the chip with some epoxy to prevent water damage.

By many measures of durability, carbon composites far exceed aluminum. However, carbon fibers are brittle, so they will chip.

I've heard more than one story in the mountain biking world about carbon fiber parts not having nearly the durability of aluminum and that the failures are much more spectacular.

I wouldn't treat carbon fiber and aluminum tools in the same way like banging your crampons shaft for example.

I got a pair of the new cobras this past spring when a store was clearing out their demo's.

Lots of little 'bubbles' in the coating along the back of the shaft when I got them - look like they were from pounding pins. Also put a real nick in one hammering a pin this summer, would recommend the old hammers as they add to the clearance and help with this issue (I also like the swing better).

Great tools and most of the damage to the shafts appears cosmetic - still not all that impressed vs/ Al. tools; wondering if this is maybe a bad batch, next time I might go with the Vipers if all things are more or less equal (as they appeared to be at the time).

I think there is a aluminum shaft under the carbon fiber which will do the holding of force. the carbon fiber is for dampening feel. I could be wrong though. You had better give it me for proper disposal.

The old blue shaft Chouinard tools had a composite shaft of Aluminum, wrapped in fiberglass, and bonded with epoxy. These tools held up remarkably well. My old hammer had a nice bend in it due to bashing a lot of ice.

The newer carbon fiber tools from BD are fully fiber and resin.

I think there is a aluminum shaft under the carbon fiber which will do the holding of force. the carbon fiber is for dampening feel. I could be wrong though. You had better give it me for proper disposal.

The old blue shaft Chouinard tools had a composite shaft of Aluminum, wrapped in fiberglass, and bonded with epoxy. These tools held up remarkably well.

Black Prophets had a similar construction.

The old blue shaft Chouinard tools had a composite shaft of Aluminum, wrapped in fiberglass, and bonded with epoxy. These tools held up remarkably well.

Black Prophets had a similar construction.

You are correct, BD also made some Carbon Fiber Black Prophets. I have a set of the straight shaft tools. I can not remember if they made some curved ones as well. They are easy to tell apart because the CF have a rubber grip just for your hand. The wrapped ones have a full rubber shaft.

Edited by ScaredSilly

• 2 weeks later...

Or you can just bug me for mine...Dan E. I have found from using the Cobra's that they are amazingly strong and light weight. The carbon fiber also does an amazing job of deadening the blows you make. As for the hammer, I find the hammer on most alpine and ice tools to be kind of worthless, to small. I find the best rule of thumb is to flip the tool and use the top of the tool to pound in pickets and use the hammer only for clearing ice.