have a good picture of the south face of prusik?

jesselillis

I'm looking for a good picture of the route up the South face of Prusik, in the Enchantments.

Partner and I attempted to approach and climb the South face of Prusik Saturday. I don't recommend pushing the approach+climb (and return to camp or car) this time of year unless you already know the trail, approach and route pretty well, and can move quickly with a rack and camping gear.

I'm sure we started up the climb in the right spot, traversed a bit right from the higher trees (top of 2nd pitch) to the slabby/knobby section, but then couldn't find the chimmney with chockstone. Wound up heaven-knows-where-but-starting-to-feel-like-5.10+ off-route, and bailed off some nuts in the dark.

The description of the route I read said you could see the chock stone from the ground (to my discredit I did not look for it at the start, and I obviously couldn't see it in the dark when we got down).

Does anyone have a pretty good picture of the route they could post here, send me (PM), or direct me to by URL? I'd like to know where the heck I was supposed to have gone.

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's where everyone who gets off-route goes off-route at. It didn't seem too difficult when we were there, you just needed to head up and right on the slabs and then back left so you put yourself 100' above your belayer. It's more of a gully than a chimney. Sounds like a full on adventure for ya!

DSCN0117.jpg

The big patch of trees to the left of the red spot on the cliff are the top of the second pitch according to Nelson and Potterfield (one long pitch with a 60 or 70m rope to there.) From there we traversed right under a steeper section of rock on sparsely potected moderate knob/face climbing then headed upward following the groove below the chockstone.

Someone more computer literate then me could probably draw the line on the photo for you...

Looking at this photo makes me mad.

I have failed to climb this route 3 times.

The first time, I went up there with two others and the weather was threatening, they weren't psyched, and we climbed the lovely West Ridge instead (which was a very good route).

The second time, it poured down rain on us and we never even attempted to climb.

The third time, I got all the way to the chockstone itself before a fast-moving lightning storm rolled in, lit up the basin in a wild display complete with hail and high winds, and we bailed...

I hate the idea of going back up there to try again, but hate the idea of failing three times worse.

It looks like you guys ended up moving left over to Der Sportsmen.

I imagine you guys bailed somewhere off to the left of the climber in my pic of pitch 3. We bootied a bunch of gear a bit above this point. Proabaly a common mistake. Those who dont mind french freeing a couple of 11+ moves could finish this way via a few high quality 10+ pitches.