Workout Times

Nolan posted on BowFlex the following:<Except my body doesn't really function at that time. I used to try working out before 10 a.m. or so sometimes in the college days, never liked it, never got good workouts. I can do alpine starts for climbing, not lifting. >

I thought this would make a good topic since so many of us DO get early starts to get a jump on the crowds, to take advantage of conditions on glacier climbs before the sun melts the top layer and adds to avalanche danger, and to use as much daylight as possible. But what do you all naturally prefer (in terms of times of the day) for workouts, from cardio to stretching to strength?

Some studies show that the body actually does better with strength training after you've been awake for about 4 hours. Cardio, on the other hand, can be done upon waking, mid-day, late -- whenever you can consistently fit it in. Then that might raise the question of the "overnight fast" and should you eat before a workout, how close to it, how much, etc. What have you all experienced? Any takers on a new thread?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic Courtney - I find it very hard to get up on an ordinary morning and go lift wieghts/run or climb at the gym. However if I'm climbing outside, following a shot of coffee and any approach, I've jumped on hard lines and felt good and have always been surprised at how well my performance can be.

On my regularly scheduled workout days, being awake for a few hours even later in the afternoon is always my best performance. Goofy.

quote:

Originally posted by Courtenay:
But what do you all naturally prefer (in terms of times of the day) for workouts, from cardio to stretching to strength?

Then that might raise the question of the "overnight fast" and should you eat before a workout, how close to it, how much, etc. What have you all experienced?

I've tried many times to get on a regular early a.m. cardio schedule. I just can't do it, maybe it's motivation. Often I bike for the morning commute and get some blood moving, but I always feel groggy, sluggish, and don't enjoy it. And maybe that's a reflection of the beer/weed I regularly consume, but in high school when I was basically drug-free (during sports seasons anyway) I couldn't do it then either. For stretching I try to do it after the morning shower, before an afternoon/early pm workout, and right before bed. For climbing workouts, my schedule dictates a 6:00pm to 9:00ish workout, which is my preference anyway. I eat something very light (maybe a single piece of toast w/jam) about an hour and a half before the workout and then siphon Cytomax during and after the workout. This seems to work well. Sometimes I'll skip lunch at work and go into the workout intentionally depleted...trying to simulate the end of a long climbing day. On those occasions, I'll add a weight belt with about 15-20lbs and train endurance and power endurance on traverses/problems around 25-45 moves long.

I fit the workout in wherever my schedule allows. this year, that's mid morning, between 8am and 10am. a couple of years ago, the only time slot I could consistently hit was 4am before work at 630. fifteen years ago, I had an office job where I would adjust my hours and take a two-hour lunchtime workout three times per week. another job required an evening workout schedule. I don't "schedule" cardio workouts, so much as I just go out and play hard two or three times a week.

I prefer working out in the evening. I did the morning thing for a while 6am practices and it sucked. Problem is I have a very high metabolism and I can't eat in the morning before vigorous exercise or it just comes back up, and I wake up very hungry. So by doing that I put my body in serious debt and then I have to go to work and try to stay awake. I find by working out in the evening I have all day to prepare my body for my work out by eating and hydrating. When your typical work out lasts two and half hours this is pretty important. I think being able to go to sleep within four hours of you workout is pretty important because that is when you body is repairing the damage.

If I'm doing a little cardio (bike ride, vigorous walk), I can basically roll out of bed, grab a quick snack and go. Back when I did a regular strength training routine, the exact time varied w/ my class schedule, but I liked working out somewhere between 2-4 p.m. best. Sometimes I did it in the mornings, didn't like that very much. Also did after dinner sometimes, that wasn't ideal either. Middle of the afternoon I was wide awake, motivated, and went to the dining hall shortly after the workout and gorged myself, then relaxed 'til beddy-bye time. That just seemed to work best for me. If I am climbing and do the God-awful early alpine start, sometimes I feel a little sick to my stomach when I first start the approach trudge, but as the day goes on I'm fine.

I would guess best time for workouts has a high degree of individual variation. Would you agree w/ that Courtenay?

I agree with Jon in regards to having nap/bed time available after workouts. Nothing sucks more than having to finish a work day with depleted stores...

After years of working out, here's my .02...

mornings are good for running/cardio (as long as I run before I'm really awake)

I lean towards afternoon/evenings for weights and climbing, BUT, when I used to hit the climbing gym at 8ish, it was VERY hard to get motivated.

Will do nordic track, stairmonster, or road bike in a trainer and sit ups/push ups, if I don't get out and am feeling like too much of a slug to go to the gym or am trying to avoid doing some work around the house. Put in a DVD and tune out the world.

Nolanr wrote: I would guess best time for workouts has a high degree of individual variation. Would you agree w/ that Courtenay?

I would indeed. And it's important to realize what your natural -- for lack of a better term -- biorhythms tell you is best for YOU. If you absolutely can't stand doing cardio first thing in the morning, it's likely you won't stick to that plan for very long. I find for myself if I can lift somewhere between 2-4 p.m. and do cardio a little earlier in the day (I'm a morning person, actually) then I'm doing well. If I were to leave lifting until after about 6 p.m. it's likely I'd end up skipping it, but for some, that's the best and strongest time of the day.

One other thought: if training for an event such as a marathon that will be in the mornings, and you are more of an evening person, it is a good idea to train (close to the event) at about the same time you'd race/climb/compete, so that the body is at least somewhat used to it. Case in point the god-awful early alpine starts; you may find as the season goes on and you do more of them that you simply adapt to them, no?