Route Advice Please

JRCO

JRCO has friends from Denver coming into Portland next weekend and they would like to bag a peak on Sunday. All are very fit. I was thinking about SS of Hood until I read the recent trip reports. What other options might someone suggest? SS of Adams or something else on Hood? Or say what the hell on the SS of Hood. Give it a go. Worst thing that happens is we end up the the Timberline lodge drinking beer.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

if you must do hood, perhaps the sunshine would be better for you?

north ridge of washington is fine, if ya'll like easy rock

also if you like rock, the se corner of beacon rock is a very cool quasi-alpine experience

ss of adams is even easier, but intensely gay

allow me my joke

my one experience on that route was characterized by 100s of people, dogs, shit (literally and figuratively) everywhere, dust and generally much less aesthitic and enjoyable conditiosn then i've found on every other peak in the cascades

i'm sure it's cooler in winter though w/o the crowds

I think the south side of Adams is a great climb. I've done it several times to ski the SW chutes and I've always enjoyed it. It is not a wilderness experience nor is it an alpine climb, but its great.

I like the NW Ridge, too, but there is about 300 feet near the top where non-climbers may be scared by a steep snow slope over a large void.

Most late season volcano climbs are going to involve a lot of rock hopping and dust -- will your out-of-town friends enjoy thousands of feet of that?