RNC - Im soooo Excited!!!!

carolyn

:crazy:NOT!:crazy:

If I could leave town I would. Responsibilities/Obligations keep me here in the Twin Cities. :cry:

Part of my responsibilites may actually include bartending for one or more of the private parties. I dont care if it's dems or rep's I really dont care to cater to either of their special event. Im not thrilled with the possibility of being searched before I go to work, dealing with the traffic, security, blah, blah, blah. But that is beside the point.

I thought I would share some funnies on the blogs...

security budget

Comments regarding blog post -

The redacted line items in the budget include, but are not limited to the following:

1. 300 cases of Schlitz

2. A non-partisan lefse chef to cook for breakfast

3. $400.00 for the translator who knows how to speak Nord East

4. The daily hotdish selection for the DOJ Greenroom

5. A side trip to Ironworld in Chisholm

6. A waterskiing outing on Lake Minnetonka for 200

7. Fresh walleye-on-a-stick for McCain’s nomination speech.

8. A heated, HDTV-outfitted ice house for this winter.

9. 600 gallons of DEET to fight mosquitoes suspected of terrorism.

10. Two 45 caliber six-shooters to replace the ones confiscated from

Jesse Ventura.

There are more, but our scanning-tunneling electron microscope operator walked off the job when he heard the muskies were running up in Hayward

Convention Crashers

Response to the parties around town:

Since I'm not hip to these sort of things, how will the parties work? Are they even possible to crash? Are they guest lists + hookers type thing, or do you need a ticket/invitation to get in? Can you buy your way in?

And most importantly, are any happening where I hang out? You know, Quang, Los Ocampos, Tracy's Bar and Grill, White Castle, etc? I'd hate to walk to Pho Tau Bay on Tuesday night and encounter a party that I'm not invited to.

Grafitti

Just a touch of discussion on most bars not staying open later and why

Looks Like Rage Against the Machine will be playing across the street from where I will likely be working one of the private parties. Maybe I should pony up the 60 bucks for tickets to that show and skip out on work. :eveeel:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the rumors I have heard about working the private parties, I will basically be volunteering.

An average night I can walk with $200-$300, occassionally a little more or less. On these nights ofprivate parties (open bar) the gratuity will be about $100 per bartender - not confirmed yet. A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks, I know. I need it badly. But, there is principle involved, not to mention the longer hours (4am close) making it impossible to function at my day job, and the fact that I may have to use some of that money to buy a 'uniform'. Rumor also has it that one of the nights (not sure if it is one Im usually scheduled for) the party will be bringing in their own bartenders/support staff, so no need for regular employees.

I would like to know what part of the state's economy is benefiting from this. It sure isnt the average person, like me.

(you dont have to answer that question. I already know)

The redacted line items in the budget include, but are not limited to the following:

1. 300 cases of Schlitz

2. A non-partisan lefse chef to cook for breakfast

3. $400.00 for the translator who knows how to speak Nord East

4. The daily hotdish selection for the DOJ Greenroom

5. A side trip to Ironworld in Chisholm

6. A waterskiing outing on Lake Minnetonka for 200

7. Fresh walleye-on-a-stick for McCain’s nomination speech.

8. A heated, HDTV-outfitted ice house for this winter.

9. 600 gallons of DEET to fight mosquitoes suspected of terrorism.

10. Two 45 caliber six-shooters to replace the ones confiscated from

Jesse Ventura.

11. Catering and support staff for committee meetings held in Minneapolis Airport restrooms.

... and the fact that I may have to use some of that money to buy a 'uniform'.

Give that they are republicans I'm guessing that the uniform starts out something like this....you know, kind of a retro 60's sexy thing.

51APVM2GCQL._SS500_.jpg

Hmmm, the first choice was kind of large. Had to replace it with this, but you get the idea.

Good luck with your choices Carolyn, remember that men, especially powerful men in particular, will tip substantially more if you gently touch them and smile as you take their orders. My bro bartended some in college and use to hit some high end events, he use to watch this happen all night long, then later there was actual studies that confirmed it. The worst thing to do is to get so busy that you start getting that harried look thinking about yourself, and don't focus on your customers and their needs. It's a damn difficult thing to pull off successfully as your shoes are making your feet scream in pain and you're running on fumes at 1am after a 8 hour+ day while only getting 4 hours of sleep the previous night...but that's the job eh?

Hopefully you can make it work and bank the scratch.

God luck! :wave:

I see gonzo journalism potential!

Do you need a cub reporter out there?

I was joking with a co-worker of mine who lives blocks from the convention center about sitting in a bar all day/night just to observe. Thought he could sell some good information by the end of the week. He is on high alert for unfamiliar men/women in really good shape walking around his neighborhood. I have two other friends who just rented out their place and are getting the hell outta dodge.

I will basically be hunkered down at home, except when I have to work. Well, this event is only blocks from my home. Sounds intriquing...

RNC DIY!: Liberty Parade Promises...

I will do my best to get myself voted in the "Best TR" post by the end of this!

secrets

Twin Cities bartenders working when the GOP holds its national convention in St. Paul next month should listen up: Republicans like their drinks straight up, and they arrive early for happy hour. A survey of Washington, D.C., bartenders commissioned by a leading liquor company broke down Democrats and Republicans when it comes to their drink selection and bar behavior. Here's what it found:

Who's a better tipper? Democrats 60 percent, Republicans 38 percent.

Who is more likely to order a drink straight up? Republicans 82 percent; Democrats 14 percent.

Who is more likely to order a fruity (pink) drink? Democrats 58 percent, Republicans 34 percent.

Who has the better pick-up lines? Democrats 74 percent, Republicans 14 percent.

Who is better at giving a toast? Democrats 63 percent, Republicans 36 percent.

Who is more likely to arrive first for happy hour? Republicans 50 percent, Democrats 48 percent.

Who is more likely to be the last to go home? Democrats 53 percent, Republicans 46 percent.

The survey of about 100 bartenders in the Washington area was commissioned by Beam Global Spirits & Wine Inc. (maker of Jim Beam bourbon, Canadian Club whisky and Courvoisier cognac, among others) in collaboration with Clarus Research Group.

PAUL WALSH

UTOH! :cry:

oh great, drunk and republican...

carolyn, i hope you're not trying to find a date!

Only if they are willing to make it long term and pay for my cat! :grin:

The latest:

I also work at a local outdoor gear retailer. We had 9 officers come in today to have us fix new straps on their riot helmets. Apperantly the original ones are too difficult with gloves to unclip and adjust so they can pull their gas masks down. By the end of the day we received a phone call requesting if we could do 400 more!

The cops are funny to talk with. They are not very excited and would rather be on vacation.