Beacon Rock: Signage

JosephH

So some bright person kicked over the new sign at the first turn in the trail, cool. That sign post was and is supposed to be for a sign that hasn't been made yet that warns tourists off the climbers trail so we aren't dealing with them down below. Once that sign is made it will host both signs. I've recommended that the 'overnight' sign not be placed at that spot but rather at the top of the trail - but the problem then is that the sign causes confusion with non-climbers, hence the BRSP wanting it down on the trail.

But the bottom line - don't fuck with any of the signs regardless of whether you like the message or not - it will shut down all WSP cooperation on early opens if people do. You may not give a shit whether or not you get to climb earlier than July 15th every year, but I and others do. So piss on the damn thing if you must and if it makes you feel better, but leave it the fuck alone from here on out...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So some bright person kicked over the new sign at the first turn in the trail, cool. That sign post was and is supposed to be for a sign that hasn't been made yet that warns tourists off the climbers trail so we aren't dealing with them down below. Once that sign is made it will host both signs. I've recommended that the 'overnight' sign not be placed at that spot but rather at the top of the trail - but the problem then is that the sign causes confusion with non-climbers, hence the BRSP wanting it down on the trail.

But the bottom line - don't fuck with any of the signs regardless of whether you like the message or not - it will shut down all WSP cooperation on early opens if people do. You may not give a shit whether or not you get to climb earlier than July 15th every year, but I and others do. So piss on the damn thing if you must and if it makes you feel better, but leave it the fuck alone from here on out...

Another new sign? You know....Erik the ranger, before he left, had once told me that he thought too many signs were a bad thing in a park. He had lots of reasons and examples behind this, but the bottom line was that once you get enough signs, not only have you radically changed the character of a place for the worse, but then no one reads any of the signs and they all loose the impact you wanted to start with.

He had mentioned a bunch of signs that he could have installed but had passed on for that reason. I thought about it for a while, and believe now he pretty much had that nailed. If you want to pass this on to the new sign-installing ranger and rangerette, that's more than fine. Eriks still available if she or they want his opinion or to confirm the factuality of this.

It's not like he was to stupid to know to install of these signs. He had considered and rejected it so as to maintain the character of the park.

ps, wasn't me either:-)

Edited by billcoe

Yo, where was everyone today? Scared off by signage maybe? Weather was a bit sticky but not really hot at all, yet there was a grand total of one party and one touron at the base?! Wimpage...

Anyway, SE Corner was a blast, Jill's was new to me and a major blast, but that 5.8 just left of SE Corner's start was kinda stout for 5.8. The master cam lodged in there is still there. I worked it for a half hour and got 3 lobes moving, but deepest lobe eluded me and I had to give up. Maybe the last lobe will bust loose with some "loving" with a few hammer taps... Presently it is still not overly beat up, but the trigger wires (cords?) are all toast.

FwatjHcV1ZM

Edited by pink

Seeing the sign of times whether short or long hair (for those who've had both) is sort of like dealing with falling. Good to know where the edge is - sometimes you hang it over, sometimes you don't. Sort of like pissing in the wind - good to know which way the wind is blowing so that, while feeling great relief, you aren't just pissing on yourself at the same time...

SIGNDANG.JPG

Sounds like another unnecessary sign to me. Let the tourists find out for themselves that they don't belong down there. Not that there is a great debate about this here of course.

I think was George Carlin who said it best, I'll attempt to paraphrase.

Signs allow the stupid people to survive, and then they breed and make more stupid people.

Be judicious with the signage. Please.

d