Dogs at J-Tree?

hefeweizen

Not sure if this is where to post this question, but my wife and I are hoping to be in Joshua Tree for about 6 weeks this fall. We want to bring our dog (lets not discuss the ins and outs of dogs at crags here, there are other threads for that topic) and I'm wondering if anyone who has been there can tell me what the dog scene is like. The NPS website does not sound that welcoming to canines, but you never know until you go what the truth of the matter is. So, any advice on how to bring your dog down there?

TIA

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs aren't allowed in the backcountry (wilderness) in any NP as far as I know. In J Tree, that's most of the park; it would be pretty limiting to your travels. Looking at the map, there's a narrow strip along all the roads that are non-wilderness which does include alot of the crags. You might try to check the map against a map of the crags you want to check out.

I was there a few years ago, a few people I was hanging out with had dogs. One Jack Russel was unleashed and had no trouble with the coyotes even though they were everywhere. We even saw the coyotes darting into the dog owner's tent to get the dog food.

Your mileage may vary.

I went there last november with our dog, and I guess that I wouldn't recommend it if you could leave it. We did take her into some of the less popular spots, but there were signs on most (or all) of the trails saying no dogs. Lot's of NPS folks patroling with nothing better to do too. Even in the campground we got hassled twice for having our dog off leash (she's really well behaved and doesn't even wander off), once even when we took off her leash for 5 minutes while she was eating. In general, I hate being somewhere and always having that feeling like you are doing something wrong and are either going to get ticketed or piss someone off.

Was interesting to see my dog freak out when the coyotes started calling not far from where we were camping.