Climber dies in storm on Rainier, lessons learned

trad_guy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"TraditionalMountaineering.org offers free basic to advanced alpine mountaineering information and instruction based on photographs and reports of actual back country and mountain climbing adventures."

As I suspected. Instruction based not on training and first hand experience, but on armchair analysis and opinions deduced from reading about other peoples adventures. Sketchy. I would think that professional guide services would find this appalling, not to mention an affront to the amount of time, effort, and money that it takes to reach the level of professional certification.

I was thinking about this on the pot.

I guess tradguy advocates people only go where there is cellphone coverage.

Too bad for those people just walking next to the side of roads in canyons with no cell phone reception, becuase that would be irresponsible.

I was studying this guy's webpage to learn how to climb and started to think about the self arrest grip vs. the self belay grip. I always hold my tool (woops!)... I always hold my ax with the spike pointed away, ready to self arrest. I think he calls this the self arrest grip. Even if I was self belaying, why would I want to hold the head (woops!)... hold the ice axe with the spike pinted "io" and NOT ready to self arrest? Go ahead, spray away, but SOMEBODY help me out here!

dave