Ski season is here!

JoshK

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya this late season snow is rather impressive, 10 inches at paradise yesterday, another 10 inches today? 2 feet above 5k. Another cool troph pegged to come in next weekend perhaps.

I am curious what you guys think of this year compared to 99?

This summer so far has been rather chilly. I started climbing in 1999 during highschool and I remeber going out that summer and seeing snow at the 4K level on the ground in July.

A few years ago I was blizzarded off of Daniel on the summer solstice. The previous year, I believe, we encountered snow on the 4th of July. I think Wayne Wallace bailed from a day into the Ptarmigan Traverse that weekend.

Last year seemed unusual in that the weather around July 4th was exceptional, whereas many of the weekends after then were crappy.

The snow level will be around 4,000 ft. today and then drop to 2,500 ft. by midnight and up 12" is expected. Because of this, a Heavy Snow Warning has been issued from 6 p.m. This evening until 8 a.m. Tuesday for the West slopes of the North and Central Cascades, this includes all of the passes.

A-Basin...bah... Yeah, they stay open late with a north facing bowl tucked up on the continental divide.

Yesterday in the Teanaway we were skiing a full snow pack in one of the driest and quickest to melt out areas in the Cascades. PNW ftw, CO ftl!!

Oh yeah, yesterday's turns ROCKED!!!

:brew::rawk:

Ahh Torreys. Such memories of the staggeringly boring Sawatch range. :wazup:

That long coulior on Mt. of the Holy Cross always looked cool. I found other random couloir that were fun too, but everything not a coulior would always melt out so early. :cry:

P.S. That picture of Hood looks fuggin' glorious. Long live the PNW.

Edited by JoshK

p.s. Im glad everybody decided not to summit yesterday, it made for a lovely empty summit, and we didn't have to worry about anybody getting in the way for our descent.

We also hit the summit, slightly later in the day, with lots more adventure on the way.

Ahh Torreys. Such memories of the staggeringly boring Sawatch range. :wazup:

That long coulior on Mt. of the Holy Cross always looked cool. I found other random couloir that were fun too, but everything not a coulior would always melt out so early. :cry:

There is some nice stuff in the Gore Range, shorter but steeper. And yes, from a mountaineering perspective, a lot of the stuff here is boring. But you make do with what you gots.

Tried downloading pics of the skiers on Torreys but the system didn't like me. You can view them by following the link to my sig.

Skiing is in on Hood

http://www.backcountrymagazine.com/

p.s. Im glad everybody decided not to summit yesterday, it made for a lovely empty summit, and we didn't have to worry about anybody getting in the way for our descent.

So that was you that we saw skiing down. We hit the summit at 6:45. There was a guided group telling people not to go up because avalanche danger was too high....that's why the summit was empty.