Liberalism and Polygamy

JayB

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of

"Six babies on the way - with six women

A music producer told a US court he has six children on the way - all with different women.

Ricky Lackey was asked by a judge how many children he had during sentencing on an attempted theft charge.

Lackey, 25, of Cincinnati, told Hamilton County Judge Melba Marsh: "None, but I have six on the way."

"Are you marrying a woman with six children?" asked the confused judge.

"No, I be concubining," he replied, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Prosecutors said Lackey is the expectant father of six children with six different women. The women all are expected to deliver in August, September and October.

Lackey's lawyer, Stephen Wenke, stopped his client from saying more."

It's official. Current status quo - play it safe and stick to concubinin....

If polygamy produces a situation where the children cannot be supported without welfare or other government programs, then wouldn't the state have a stake in insuring that this situation is discouraged if not outright prohibited? Thus, wouldn't the state have a compelling interest in denying the protection affored by the Free Exercise Clause of the 1st Amendment?

Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment

Here's an interesting twist to the story: Local Woman's Fake Call May Have Led to Polygamist Raid ;

With Texas Rangers present, Springs police arrest a 33-year-old on false-reporting charges. ;

Woman arrested for Colorado hoax calls said her name was 'Sarah'

Polygamy notwithstanding, a bigger issue is how far the state can go in seizing children from their parents and keeping them in state custody.

FLDS case raises questions of religious and parental rights, and child protection

On a separate note, I would like to congratulate the State of Texas in regard to their handling of this delicate issue. If I recall, Bill Clinton and Janet Reno had a different way of protecting children...

WACO.jpg

Every parent has the God-given right to kill someone who has come to abduct his children. Texas authorities know this. That's why this "child protection" action was carried out with military hardware supplied by the Department of Homeland security.
--not my words, but words of another

For their part, the FDLS did not try to resist or thwart the actions of the state.

This is going to be an interesting case.