Dollie Llama putting the smack down on China?????

olyclimber

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the outrage from the left? This is a clear violation of their core beliefs.

he is a world leader, he is a major figure in world events that directly impact the usa, the religion he represents is poorly understand by americans and thus seeing him speak on it is educational from a social-studies perspective, his is not an evangelical faith nor is his visit to make converts or really even talk about buddhism at all.

BULLSHIT.

care to elaborate, your worshipfullness?

it's a typical rationalization of left-leaning anti-Christian hypocritical double-speak/double-standard.

so he's not a world leader? i'd take my kids to see the pope, the patriarch or moqtada al sadr, though i think they're all full of shit. they and their ideas undeniably shape the world.

i don't see a double-standard - please elaborate - christianity most annoys me in its "pushiness" (i know you don't need me to list historical examples of christians forcing their religion on the weak) - the dalai specifically discourages americans from turnign to buddhism and encourages them to pursue the values he talks about through the faiths they already understand.

so he's not a world leader? i'd take my kids to see the pope, the patriarch or moqtada al sadr, though i think they're all full of shit. they and their ideas undeniably shape the world.

i don't see a double-standard - please elaborate - christianity most annoys me in its "pushiness" (i know you don't need me to list historical examples of christians forcing their religion on the weak) - the dalai specifically discourages americans from turnign to buddhism and encourages them to pursue the values he talks about through the faiths they already understand.

your radical anti-christian hatred is showing again.

Actually, I find any response that says something like, "that's a typical leftist remark" or "what a predictable neo-con knee-jerk" as an empty, dismissive ad-hominem attack that does nothing to further the conversation. I see it happening a lot in these threads and I don't understand why anyone would waste the pixels with it--free or not.

hardly radical - radical was french/chinese/russian revolutionaries burning down churches, raping nuns and crucifying priests, no?

you have not elaborated more on the double standard, nor on why the other reasons for facilitating school children in seeing/hearing the dalai llama are bullshit

hardly radical - radical was french/chinese/russian revolutionaries burning down churches, raping nuns and crucifying priests, no?

you have not elaborated more on the double standard, nor on why the other reasons for facilitating school children in seeing/hearing the dalai llama are bullshit

School children don't need to see the Dalai Lama speak, especially considering the pathetic ROI we get on the basics on our public school system. Attempts to send children to see him are nothing more than a manifestation of left-wing political bias of those making this proposal. (And Archie, sorry, but that's not just an ad hominem attack - it's factual and completely fair game.)

Factual, Fair, Fucked, whatever. It's repetitive and lame.

And for all the complaining about the public school system, I wish they'd just privatize the whole thing. I get pissed when people bitch about the subsidy homeowners get on their mortgage interest writeoffs but no one mentions the many subsidies parents get. Why should I have to pay for your children's education? Why should you get a tax benefit just because you decided to breed? And then all parents do is bitch about everything the public school system does. Fine, pay for it yourself. Or better yet, home school the little shits.

Cool. I find the Christian bashing lame and repetitive.

And for all the complaining about the public school system, I wish they'd just privatize the whole thing. I get pissed when people bitch about the subsidy homeowners get on their mortgage interest writeoffs but no one mentions the many subsidies parents get.

Yes, they are great. They don't make up for the extra cost of raising a family but they help.

Why should I have to pay for your children's education? Why should you get a tax benefit just because you decided to breed?

They'll be the ones running the country and helping you out when you are old. :grlaf: Yeah, yeah, I know you've save, invested etc. but you never know.

And then all parents do is bitch about everything the public school system does. Fine, pay for it yourself. Or better yet, home school the little shits.

Overall ROI in our public schools suck - but it varies from place to place. Best approach (since I already fucking pay the taxes) is to move where the schools are decent. Which I have.

Can't wait to get that $2100 rebate soon. :grlaf:

And for all the complaining about the public school system, I wish they'd just privatize the whole thing. I get pissed when people bitch about the subsidy homeowners get on their mortgage interest writeoffs but no one mentions the many subsidies parents get. Why should I have to pay for your children's education? Why should you get a tax benefit just because you decided to breed? And then all parents do is bitch about everything the public school system does. Fine, pay for it yourself. Or better yet, home school the little shits.

:lmao:

so, out of curiousity, is there anyone you think WOULD be worth kids seeing in the glorious pursuit of ROI?

This kind of field trip is taken seriously by very few. It's just another day away from instruction and a chance to do nothing. How much time is spent in transit, waiting around, doing nothing? A lot.

If you want to expose children to view points of world leaders - it had better be appropriate for their age (jr. high, maybe, sr. high, yes), and could be done far more effectively by showing video tapings of the leader's speeches followed by discussion. Even so, this is pretty fluffy stuff, especially considering that few of our kids could point out where Tibet is on a map, or give even one fact about the region's history. If we really care about educating children about our world leaders, we need to beef up our history and geography curricula, with a healthy dose of studying current events.

Cool. I find the Christian bashing lame and repetitive.

then don't participate in it. Ignore it.

And for all the complaining about the public school system, I wish they'd just privatize the whole thing. I get pissed when people bitch about the subsidy homeowners get on their mortgage interest writeoffs but no one mentions the many subsidies parents get.

Yes, they are great. They don't make up for the extra cost of raising a family but they help.

I have no concern in helping anyone raise their families. It was their choice, it is their responsibility

Why should I have to pay for your children's education? Why should you get a tax benefit just because you decided to breed?

They'll be the ones running the country and helping you out when you are old. :grlaf: Yeah, yeah, I know you've save, invested etc. but you never know.

With a private education, only the best educated, brightest, weathiest will run the country. I don't see furthering politician's careers as a good argument for public schooling. And no, today's kids will not be helping me out when I am old. The sorry ass SSI, if even still around, will not be my savior. And again, only well-educated people (which we both agree do not come from the K-12 public education system) will be paying significant taxes anyway. Why wouldn't we push for them to be educated in a private system so they can get smarter and wealthier?

And then all parents do is bitch about everything the public school system does. Fine, pay for it yourself. Or better yet, home school the little shits.

Overall ROI in our public schools suck - but it varies from place to place. Best approach (since I already fucking pay the taxes) is to move where the schools are decent. Which I have.

Can't wait to get that $2100 rebate soon. :grlaf:

Certainly you can see the obvious contradiction for conservatives here. They bitch about all these wasteful programs and staunchly stand behind privatization of almost everything. That "almost" ends at their own pocketbooks. You are responsible for the heath, housing, feeding, and education of your own family. Not me.

Certainly you can see the obvious contradiction for conservatives here. They bitch about all these wasteful programs and staunchly stand behind privatization of almost everything. That "almost" ends at their own pocketbooks. You are responsible for the heath, housing, feeding, and education of your own family. Not me.

Actually, you're responsible too. Democracy in action! Enjoy.

And coming soon - you'll be paying for a share in the health insurance coverage of all Americans.

Sure, cause everyone with kids can pay for private school, and low-income parents and single-mothers really have time for homeschooling :rolleyes:

I bet all those kids would be better of with no schooling at all, right? I'd say the government has an interest in an educated citizenry, as does society, and it behooves us to ensure that a minimum standard of education is available to all. Thomas Jefferson certainly thought so, too.

Sure, cause everyone with kids can pay for private school, and low-income parents and single-mothers really have time for homeschooling :rolleyes:

I bet all those kids would be better of with no schooling at all, right? I'd say the government has an interest in an educated citizenry, as does society, and it behooves us to ensure that a minimum standard of education is available to all. Thomas Jefferson certainly thought so, too.

And some would say that the overall physical health of our nation is equally important. And being sure that people don't sleep on the streets in this wealthy country might be considered a moral action. There are a lot of things we have a duty to support, but don't. But just try to tell a bitching parent that they should just figure something else out if their subsidized schooling doesn't work for them and you get all sorts of strange, twisted responses. Edited by archenemy

Ah, so we can pay to educate your kids, but you won't kick in to keep other people's kids healthy enough to go to school?

Funny, I paid taxes which educated "other people's" kids before I had kids in school, and will be paying for "other people's" kids in just a few years. Ditto for medical care of others. And I'm sure I've kicked in more than my fair share over the years, since I've always paid income and payroll deduction taxes.

And I'm coughing up at least $1000 a month for insurance, but hey, keep pretending that YOU pay for MY kids. :wave:

But just try to tell a bitching parent that they should just figure something else out if their subsidized schooling doesn't work for them and you get all sorts of strange, twisted responses.

Not quite. Many people who bitch about public schools have moved to a place where they think the schools are good. The problem is that overall public schools are not doing a good job, even though they could be if they were fixed. This will never happen due to political realities, greed, and our wonderful teacher unions.