Roosting "Hate Speech" Chickens.

JayB

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Democrat and (now former) Obama delegate issued a citation by the local police for the following:

"Carpentersville Trustee Linda Ramirez Sliwinski ticketed for calling boys in tree 'monkeys'

She vows to fight disorderly conduct charge for comments made to 2 boys in neighbor's tree

By Carolyn Starks | Tribune reporter

Carpentersville Trustee Linda Ramirez Sliwinski vowed Monday to fight a citation she received over the weekend for a comment that apparently offended her African-American neighbors.

Ramirez Sliwinski said she saw two boys climbing a tree next door to her home about 1 p.m. Saturday and asked them to stop. The mother of one of the boys called police after Ramirez Sliwinski referred to the children, ages 8 and 9, as monkeys.

Ramirez Sliwinski, who is Hispanic, was issued a citation alleging that she violated a village ordinance prohibiting disorderly conduct. The ordinance bans conduct that disturbs or alarms people, and one of the boys told police he was scared by Ramirez Sliwinski's comment, Police Cmdr. Michael Kilbourne said.

The citation carries a fine of $75.

"She was not arrested. She was not fingerprinted. It is a local ordinance violation," Kilbourne said.

The mother told police her son and a friend were playing in a tree in front of their house in the 0-99 block of Sparrow Road when Ramirez Sliwinski came outside and told them to quit playing in the tree like monkeys, Kilbourne said.

Ramirez Sliwinski, who has been an opponent of efforts by some on the Village Board to crack down on illegal immigrants, said she meant no racial undertones by her comment.

She said the parents were outside, but she intervened because she was concerned about the boys' safety and because the small magnolia tree was being damaged.

"I went over to the kids and told them to get out of the tree," Ramirez Sliwinski said.

The father of one of the boys told her it was none of her business, she said, and "I calmly said the tree is not there for them to be climbing in there like monkeys."

There has been friction between Ramirez Sliwinski and her neighbors in the past. She said she has told them to turn down loud music and has instructed them on how to properly use the village's new garbage bins.

Ramirez Sliwinski said she intends to contest the citation in an effort to force the neighbors to talk to her.

"I have to do what I have to do to protect myself," she said. "I have to fight this ticket."

Ramirez Sliwinski said the citation and the ongoing turmoil on the Village Board have made it unlikely that she will run for re-election next year when her term expires.

Attempts to reach the neighbors for comment were unsuccessful.

"My take on this is that it is really being blown out of proportion," Village President Bill Sarto said. "To a great extent, you have to take the remarks and put them in proper context. The trustee saw children playing in a tree, and she made an observation that they should be careful because they are acting like monkeys. Had they not been in a tree, it could be inappropriate."

Sarto and Ramirez Sliwinski have been allies on the board.

Freelance reporter Carolyn Rusin contributed to this report.

cstarks@tribune.com"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-carpenter-trustee-both-08apr08,0,568283.story

Good thing the tykes weren't acting niggardly