Do all climbers like only heavy metal?

mattp

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy JT, but they are not metal. Never were, never will be. Just shows how out of touch MTV was. This was pre-headbangers ball days.

I hear that Kevbone's favorite metal bands growing up were Winger and Poison.

And yours were Stryper and Dangerous Toys.

I always thought Stryper sucks. Never even heard of the second band.

My favorite bands were AC/DC and Ozzy, and Later, Priest, Maiden, Scorps, Sabbath and Deep Purple.

Stormbringer was one of the first albums I heard as a kid that really got me. DP is a metal band from back in the day!

Interesting. That's after Gillan and Glover left, and they got a little funky with Glenn Hughes. Burn is definitely heavier, and "In Rock" is their heaviest. Speed King, Flight of the Rat, Hard Lovin' Woman... hell yeah! :rocken:

It all started with Jimi.

It seems to me that his contemporaries, Led Zeppelin, really cut the mold for heavy metal.

It's believed the first use of the term "heavy metal" was in an editorial review by a NY writer describing Hendrix's music,"...like heavy metal falling from the sky...".

This is what Wikapedia says:

The first documented uses of the phrase to describe a type of rock music are from reviews by critic Mike Saunders. In the November 12, 1970, issue of Rolling Stone, he commented on an album put out the previous year by the British band Humble Pie: "Safe As Yesterday Is, their first American release, proved that Humble Pie could be boring in lots of different ways. Here they were a noisy, unmelodic, heavy metal-leaden shit-rock band with the loud and noisy parts beyond doubt. There were a couple of nice songs...and one monumental pile of refuse."

Though I am not sure if I would really count on Wikapedia or for that matter MTV authorities on metal.

So back in the 80s, heavy metal was cool. All the cool kids in high school liked metal.

Nowadays it seems like the only kids that like metal are the nerds, that walk around in metal drag and long black trenchcoats and talk about how they're gonna blow up the school. All the cool kids like hip hop.

How did metal become nerdcentric? Is it cause it just got suckier and suckier or what? I can see a definite correlation between corpse paint, dead goats and not getting laid. I guess it's all been downhill since KISS.

So back in the 80s, heavy metal was cool. All the cool kids in high school liked metal.

Not in my school. The cool kids liked "New Wave". The stoners liked metal.

Ditto. We were the outcasts, not smart enough to be geeks, not trendy enough to be a waver and like smoking pot, drinking and cigarettes too much to be any good at sports.

• 2 months later...