Car diagnosis time!

chucK

I have a 4WD truck, standard transmission. blaktop.gif

This morning it started making a rhytmic clacking/thunking noise. AFAICT sounds like from the vicinity of the right-front wheel.

Does not make the noise when stopped and gunning the engine.

When rolling and noise going, noise does not stop when I put it in neutral and coast.

Tapping the brakes DOES seem to interrupt it, sometime for a while.

I parked, put it in 4wd, drove for a few yards, then took it out again. It didn't make noise for a while, then it did. Then it stopped again and would make the noise anymore, so I didn't take it in to the shop ("It was making a noise, I swear it!").

Any ideas? Wheel bearing? Brake issue?

Would you drive it to Alpental? To Vantage?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought it in. They couldn't reproduce the sound, but the boot was trashed on the CV joint (Middle Fork Road?). Funny thing is that it was the left joint, not the right one (where I thought I heard the sound). Could be because the parked cars (off which the sound echoes) are on the right???

Anyway. Hopefully that was the problem. Although what they did fix would've probably been a problem eventually anyway. I'll try your guys' diagnostics on it tonight.

Thanks again! :wave: