smith presidents day

markwebster

Anybody up for presidents day at smith? I'd like to leave Friday night after work and come back Monday afternoon. I'd like to share gas from the Seattle-Tacoma area.

I usually start out on sixes and warm up to nines and low tens, cracks and bolts.

I've been known to play my blues harp around the campfire at night in grasslands, and I'll probably bring an old beater guitar.

I think I'm also meeting Jessica in Portland so it would be a threesome. She's an awesome lady, lots of fun and plays the violin like a dream.

Pictures of me, Jessica and my last road trip to Joshua Tree here:

Christmas at Joshua Tree

And a fall trip around the west coast here:

summer break in Yose, smith and squamish

Lets go climbing :rawk::lmao:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too funny Mark,

I've have also been at Smith the past 5 or 6 presidents day weekends. We must have at least seen each other sometime in that period. How'd you like two years ago, -13 degrees in the morning, but still awesome climbing in the dihedrals. Now that was weather you could really loose your balls in. I'm heading down from Spokane on Friday with an uncertain outlook for partners, so if you have an odd number I'd be interested in linking up. See you down there!!

I'm heading down from Spokane on Friday with an uncertain outlook for partners, so if you have an odd number I'd be interested in linking up.

I has thinking of heading down to Smith. I live in Walla Walla - we could car pool from Pasco if you are interested.

My plea for partners: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/765609#Post765609

-Ken

Yo Ken,

That sounds like a very real possibility. I will know by Wednesday if I'm going it alone or with others. Either way I'm sure that I'll have room for an extra person and you're welcome to come along. My plan is to get to Tri-Cities about 6:00 pm on Friday night and continue on from there. I'll keep you posted as soon as I know more.

John

yeah, the bolted routes 10a and under are usually busy, but you rarely have to wait more than 10 minutes unless there is a big party of beginners, which can happen, but just keep walking.

Like the man said, if you can lead trad, you can walk up to a crowd of 10 people waiting on an easy bolted route, and there can be a beautiful crack climb right there, with no one on it. Bunny face and helium woman are always busy, but the three moderate crack routes right there are seldom climbed. Same with Karate and new testament.

I expect grasslands will be nearly full.

the forecast is incorrect. i am predicting 30 degrees for highs, lots of rain, frequent lightening, and did i mention the entire park is closed for peregrine nesting? i hear vantage will be great this weekend though.
So true, but if you must go to smith this weekend it will be much warmer and a wee bit less lighting in the shaded areas. Just an FYI.